Sign in to follow this  
PenRay

Parking Brake Warning Light

I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery on a Freightliner chassis.

A few months back the parking brake warning light stayed on when I released the parking brake. The brakes were released and I took it to a Freightliner dealer. The tech informed me it was just the sensor and he could change it in two days. I did not have the time at that point so he said it would not hurt anything to drive.

The light will stay on at times and other time go out. I now have the time to fix it and being a Diesel Mechanic for 30 years figured it would be easy. However I can not seem to get a solid answer on which switch needs to be changed. One tech said the switch is located at the rear axle, another said it is part of the push pull switch for the brakes, now another says it only a two wire pigtail on a box under the dash. Has anyone encountered this problem and could please tell me with which switch has to changed. I hate to take it back to Freightliner and pay the big bucks if it is a simple switch that needs to be replaced. Like I said the brakes always release it is just that the light will stay on intermittently.

PenRay,

Brett is correct !

The only thing I would add is, if you can order the Workshop Manual for your chassis, it is well worth the money. They cover the wiring diagrams and all the mechanical information. You can get all kinds of information in regards to what parts and there numbers with your Vin Number.

The Manuals are not free,so you might want to check price.

The other option is to ask them to send you the drawings for the Chassis electrical,air brake plumbing and a copy of how to read Freightliner drawings.

I travel with my manuals and PDF files. When you have a problem, you have much more information then 90% of the service centers at hand.

I have never had my coach brake down in the driveway. Well ! nothing major anyway. <_<

Rich.

Thanks for the replys. I talked with Gaffeny and they were a huge help. It was the one at the rear axle even gave me the part # so I could keep the dealers here in Miami in line.

I also must say as a new member I have found these to be the most informed forums I have read on any site.

Thanks again.

Ray