Sign in to follow this  
arthurhugh

Bosch Disk Brakes - Problem

I have a 2006 DynaQuest 302 with 28k miles on it. It has been well cared for.

This model Freightliner chassis (M2 - 106) comes with Bosch hydraulic disk brakes front and rear. I have had a problem with the pistons in the calipers not fully releasing on occasion.

My last long trip I had to have the rear calipers replaced, rotors turned, fluid replaced and axle seals replaced when the left rear caliper greatly overheated causing damage. That job was over $1,300 plus towing.

Now, after my last short trip I feel the rear wheels are still hot, even in level driving conditions. My question: does anyone have experience with these Bosch disk brakes and what the ultimate fix might be?

I'm willing to spend to fix them but do not want to blindly throw money at the problem?

Wondering in SC.

Bosch has put out a brake recall for this issue - I'm sure you can find it discussed in this forum --

When I bought my coach this winter, the recall had not been addressed - I insisted the seller fix prior to purchase which she did but to her expense !!

Repair facility in Jax -- Rivers RV - had fixed this issue multiple times in the past and presented pics to Bosch for recall compensation but to no avail - seller paid about $700 for repair and was advsed by Rivers to join class action suit brought about by other owners who had to pay for the repairs "out of pocket" --

Let me know if you need help finding this topic discussed by many RV owners --

Who did the repair work ? They should have known about the national recall and advised you accordingly !

I believe the Bosh brake recall was on Workhorse chassis, NOT Freighliner chassis.

There may or may not be one on the Freightliner chassis-- I would check with Freighliner.

Brett

Unfortunately I believe Wolfe10 is correct on this point. The Bosch brake recall was for Workhorse chassis only. Freightliner just yesterday told me "they had never heard of such a problem". Wow. At this point all I am trying to do is get some level of "experienced" opinion on how to best proceed. Thats why I threw the question out to this forum.

There is a lot of evidence that changing brake fluid every two years or so materially reduces chances of brake failure on the Bosh brakes. Keeping the phenolic pistons "dry" is as easy as changing fluid.

Fluid change is also a good idea on ANY heavy vehicle with hydraulic brakes. New brake fluid boils about 500 degrees F. Old/hydrated brake fluid boils at 286 degrees F. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Brett

Unfortunately the repair job I had done a couple of months ago (replacing the rear calipers, turning rotors, replacing seals and pads, AND bleeding the brake fluid front and rear) does not seem to have fixed the problem. I took a short trip last week and the rear brakes again got very hot so the whole wheel was hot to the touch. This is on level ground - no hills. Every place I have contacted either claims no knowledge of the issue or says call someone else. I am frustrated because I have done a rear brake job and it seems not to have fixed the issue. What to do?

Are these fixed caliper disk brakes (pistons on both sides) or sliding caliper disk brakes (pistons on only one side)?

If sliding calipers, the slide area needs to be lubed with a special high-temp grease made specifically for this purpose.

Brett

arthurhugh,

Where in SC are you located? I'm in the Hilton Head Island area .

Maybe I can recommend a competent repair shop that can address your issues.

I have heard that Freightliner will be having a recall on their Fred ( Front End Diesel ) models for the brake issue that was very similar to the Workhorse problem.

This was discussed on the Tiffin RV network recently. You can log on and see if this might apply to your rig as well.

No recall as yet. Perhaps trying to determine the extent of the problem .

Changing brake fluid sounds like a plan.

Dan

www.tiffinrvnetwork.com

Zorro2,

I am in Bluffton SC (Sun City), not far from you. If you have had good experience with a particular repair shop, I would like to know who it is. I am going to have this fixed again but want the best experienced shop I can find.

Hope to hear from you on this.

Thank you.

Art Sturgis

843-707-7074