Sign in to follow this  
lwclwc

Check Engine Light.... For Different Reason

I've had the Check Engine Light come on several times of late and my mechanic says it's the EGR valve that's gone bad. I have a 2004 Monaco with an ISB 300 Cummins power plant. I'm told that the EGR valve cost $1,000.00, a drop in the bucket for some but a wallet squeezer for many of us, me included.

I also realize I can install an EGR Delete Kit for considerably less but I seem to remember reading they were illegal for U.S. vehicles except off-road types.

My question to anyone out there is.... do you know of a place where EGR valves can be purchased for under the $1K mark and are the Delete Kits illegal or can I install one without fear of Uncle Sam or one of his cousins, i.e. a state that has emission checks if you live there jumping on my back,

I live in Virginia.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Larry

This write up covers failure issue of the EGR Valve, not directly to your question.

Cummins ISB-’07 engines - EGR valve failure

logo_thumb.png

FTS Admin

posted this on March 29, 2011 22:48

Product Affected-Units with Cummins ISB-’07 Engines and GM Duramax Diesel w/’07 Emissions

Just to keep everyone as fully updated as possible on what is being seen with all these new engines we would like to make you aware of something learned during a recent training session.

We have mentioned that the only real notable issue we have seen with the Cummins ISB-’07 engines is some EGR valve failure. We asked the question as to what might be causing the failures and we are told that it has been found to be excessive idling. Seems that in the EGR valve there are poppets (small ball bearings) which have seats they seal against and the carbon build up caused by idling has been found to collect on the “poppets” and cause the valve to fail prematurely.

GM was contacted and they confirmed that they also have had issues with units which idle excessively. Ford currently does not have a diesel offering and we suggest that you just check to see if IC has recommendations on idling their engines.

So if you must idle.....Use the “HIGH IDLE” – The added heat from using the high idle will help decrease the carbon build up and increase the life of the EGR valve.

Rich.

Thanks for your reply but I've never been one to idle engines except in cold weather and then only for 3 to 5 minutes. I hope someone will come on and give a reply from personal experience so I can move forward with my EGR issues.

Thanks,

Larry