bdemattia

12v Power Loss

2008 Monaco Diplomat - 40SKQ

This has happened twice in past 2 months. On shore power- solid 50Amp. 12v power went off - lost A/C, TV, lights, etc. Checked few things here and there all fine, and then remembered way back when I first purchased this rig I accidently hit the "salesman switch" and cut all 12v power off. I switched the toggle switch back and forth - heard a click sound (think it was under driver side of coach - in compartment with tons of fuses) - All power restored and everything fine. No one hit the switch to kill the 12v - it obviously tripped itself. Any idea what is causing this?

bdemattia,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Sounds like a relay problem, or wiring or switch. Next time this happens, go to the relay (larger relays also called solenoids). Determine if there is 12 VDC positive to the small "signal" terminal of the relay/solenoid. If so, check both large lugs. One will be hot (12+ VDC) as it goes to the house battery bank. The other SHOULD be hot when the signal terminal is hot. If not, replace the relay/solenoid.

This is the most common way for remote disconnect switches to be wired. I would use a digital voltmeter to verify it with switch on/off so you will be able to "catch it" the next time you loose 12 VDC.

bdemattia,

Brett is correct, sound just like the solenoid. Easy to replace but remember that what you ask for at the parts house is a for a Continuous Duty Solenoid. Not a starter solenoid.

Herman

Thanks guys - quick question - I take it there is a solenoid upfront under the drivers well - I do have one back by the batteries that I believe regulates the charge going to the house and chassis batteries. I do have a spare one of those - it's raining here so will check it out tomorrow. Thanks again