Sign in to follow this  
mkenway

12 Volt Electrical Puzzle

I own a 2008 Itasca Suncruiser and have a number of issues with my 12v electrical. I'm not sure if they are all related or not.

First the coach heater that runs off the engine while driving has no power to the switch, but power at the fuse box.

Second, the house batteries don't charge while driving... no 12 v power going to the battery mode solenoid.

Third, no power going to the 6 amp breaker ( under the entry step) that controls the step when the engine is turned on and the 5 amp step alarm fuse (under the drivers side) keeps blowing.

If anyone knows what might be causing all these issues, I would be very thankful. It's puzzled me for over 5 months.

Thanks,

M. Kenway

M Kenway,

Your coach has one and maybe more 12 volt continuous solenoids. They look just like the old starter solenoid on Fords, You have two large studs on each side and two small stud on the front between the two large studs. The large stud on the left should have 12+ volts and you should have 12 + volts on the right stud also. If not turn your key on and check the right stud again. if you still do not have 12 volts you have a bad solenoid. You need to check all of your solenoids.

If you have a bad solenoid be sure that when you purchase a new one that it is a 12 Volt Continuous Solenoid,

Herman

Thanks for the suggestions. I have determined that the reason for the 5 amp fuse blowing is a fault with the step controller. After removing the wire that connects the engine override for the step, the fuse remains good and all the other problems are resolved.

If anyone needs any electrical repair the perfect repair is in Ohio City, OH. at M&M Electronic Repair.

For all Your RV Electrical Needs:

Inverter Charging Systems

Leveler Control Systems

Battery Control Centers

Circuit Board Repair

Electronic Repair, Installation & Design

If in doubt, please call Mark Bayus

Phone 419-965-2662

Cell 419-203-2827

205 Main St, - Ohio City, OH 45874

http://mmelectronicrepair.com/

We have a 2005 American Tradition and had our coach and all its electrical and 12 volt all repaired by Mark at M&M, the work he does was excellent, We now have a first rate electrical system, If you have any questions please call Mark he is super with electric work on Motorhomes.