Sign in to follow this  
nancydude

Remove Refrigerator From 05 Discovery

I believe that most of the RV type fridge units are designed to go right out the door. You may have to remove the door(s) for clearance but otherwise it should fit. Now, when you make the necessary modifications so you can install a new residential fridge in it's place, that new fridge is going to have to come in via the windshield! (Sorry, big leap in assumption there, just speaking from experience.)

I can't speak for the '05 Discovery but there is an option other than the windshield or the door. Our refrigerator changeover went out and in through the drivers side window. That was close but both refrigerators went through that window. It was certainly the simplest solution and worth giving it a try.

I should have said "some big window" as many people have used access other than the door. After watching the glass company remove and replace the windshield in the coach I was helping with I can't believe that it could be done any faster through a side window! We barely had the fridge sitting on the floor before the windshield was going back up and it could not have been 20 minutes later that they were packing up and leaving.

In any case, door, window, windshield, those are your options.

It's worth it not only for the safety but you will love how much nicer a household fridge operates and the huge amount of storage space. You just have to be aware of the amount of power required if you plan to dry camp. You may need more batteries to have enough reserve to make it through the night.