jfxg48

Brief campground report

Here's a quick report on a few places we've stayed in the past month. Perhaps this will be useful to someone.

We left Raleigh about a month ago. First stop we spent two nights at the Bull Run Regional Park in Manassas VA. We had originally planned to stay 5 nights, but delays leaving Raleigh had us changing plans day after day. The folks at this camp were unbelievably friendly and cooperative with all our delays, and when we finally arrived they could well have charged us for a couple of short-notice changes, but they just shrugged it off. The campground itself was very pleasant, clean and well kept, and we met a couple of other travellers who stopped to say hello. I'd stay there again, and would recommend it.

Leaving Manassas, we headed north on US 15, a beautiful ride up through the VA, MD, and PA country. Then I-81 and I-78, and we spent a night at the Walmart just off I-287 on Ridgedale Ave in Cedar Knoll (Morristown) NJ. The store GM was gone when we arrived, but I went in the next morning, stocked up on some things, and tracked her down right in the middle of her stand-up morning staff meeting to say thanks. That made a big hit with her, and she worked it into her talk to the staff, so that worked out well.

We next spent a week at the Boston Minuteman Campground in Littleton, MA. This is about as close to Boston as you can find a spot for a motorhome, but we chose it simply because it is close to the town where our daughter lives. Its a cozy place, but they've kept a lot of trees and shrubs so it still feels comfortable. And although the roads seem snaky, there were a lot of big rigs, and nobody seemed to have any problem. The campground is family run, clean and neat, and they're all very friendly and real hustlers. We really enjoyed staying there, and plan to come back. I would recommend it in a heartbeat!

We're now on Cape Cod, in Sandwich, at a place called Peter's Pond RV Resort. Its a big place, with about 400 spots, but of course once we're past Labor Day things are very quiet, which is fine with us. From what we can tell, about half or more of the spots are "seasonal", so even in season there's not much in and out. We like it because its nice and quiet, but in season there are also a pond with a beach, athletic fields, game rooms, and Bingo under a tent three nights a week! So its a family destination as well.

Next is a week in CT, then York, PA, for the GEAR, followed by Cincinatti, a Newmar visit, IL farm country, then wending our way to Seattle for Thanksgiving at our son's new house.

We're planning to winter in the PNW. I think we'll need the rest. :lol:

I have to say that using Thousand Trails campgrounds this summer is the best deal. Costs me $585 per year and since May I have stayed 72 nights in their system with no nightly fee. We have been in the northeast part of the country and every campground was clean and with friendly workers.

We like Pohick Bay Regional Park in Lorton., VA. Same folks that run Bull Run, very very friendly. I haven't stayed at Boston Minuteman since it was a KOA....long while ago. Same thing with Peter's Pond. They used to be a private CG now they are operated by Morgan RV Resorts and we have stayed in quite a few Morgans...never had an issue with the individual Resorts, however, thier reservation system and main office leave a lot to be desired...Thanks for sharing and safe travels!