Sign in to follow this  
Glenerin

Winnebago View/Profile Electronics

I took delivery of a 2012 Winnebago View Profile ( September 29th, 2012 ) When I read the Supplemental Manual I learned that my new 2012 unit was equipped with 2008 electronics. Both the Dash Radio Jensen VR209TP and the Coach Stereo Jensen AWM970 are limited to supporting iPods & iPhones produced prior to September 2008. I went to Future Shop armed with my Manual and a list of the models supported by this equipment only to learn that most of the items listed were out of production or had limited capacity ( compared to newer models ).

It appears to be a questions of ethics and the need for disclosure on the part of Winnebago. I purchased this unit with the expectation I was buying the latest in equipment and electronics. Winnebago does not mention the inclusion of obsolete equipment in its print material nor on its website. Had I known the limitations of this unit, it would have influenced my buying decision. Winnebago made a change to update the electronics in mid-year changing the dash radio to a Jensen JRV212T, they didn`t change the Coach Stereo, it is still back in 2008. What is odd is that the 212 unit supports the latest technology but there is no compatibility with the Coach Stereo. What plays on the Dash radio won`t play on the Coach Stereo. The buyer would need two separate iPods.

This was my first NEW motorhome, what a disappointment! I did my research, I went to Forest City, watched the movie, did the plant tour, listened to the self professed leadership in the industry, wow, what a surprise! After several phone calls and badgering from my dealer, Winnebago did replace the dash radio with the latest model. Of course the replacement came with no connections, wiring harness, nor iPod hookup, We are in the process of getting them shipped to us direct from a Jensen supplier. They are adament about the Coach Stereo, it remains, BECAUSE they continue to install them in new units ( I guess till their shelves are empty of them ) With Winnebago, they might be leaders, but for sure, buyer beware!

This type of thing is common in the industry. Going back a lot of years I had a 1980 Sportscoach which was built on a Dodge M600 chassis. Dodge quit building that chassis in 1978 and called it a 1979 model. Since the chassis is the foundation of the motorhome it would be nice to know what you are getting.

With electronics this is a real problem. Manufacturers of motor homes purchase quantities of supplies that will last several years to get discounts that make their profits better. If they sell fewer motor homes the supplies may last for more than two years. I'm sure many manufacturers have old supplies in the current economy. Electronics today go out of date in several years and there they are with outmoded electronics. Even if you get the latest electronics installed in your coach they are likely going to be out of date in a matter of two or three years. I replaced our CRT TV's several years ago as the conversion to digital TV took place. We still have a VCR but who uses them anymore?

Your post brings to everyone's attention one aspect that buyers should question closely before making a purchase.