jersal

In Dash Radio On Diesel Pusher

We have a 2008 38V Fleetwood Bounder and the Jesen in dash radio has died.

We need to replace it and don't know if we should go with another Jensen since this one failed or get a different brand.

Has anyone had any problems with their in dash radio/CD/weather station?

If so how did you solve it or what did you replace it with?

I would go with a major brand such as Sony, JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. There are many models with different features to choose from.

I finally got tired of the original in dash (double din) radio in our coach. Actually it was a tad dangerous since it was placed low and right on the dash requiring that I stretch to reach it and the display was hardly visible. Then, the Co-pilot wanting to change the station a lot was a bit much. Then to compound the radio problems, I got a Sirius satellite radio setup from Radio Shack. As we went down the superslab I would now have to coordinate (while driving) tuning two radios since the Sirius kind of piggybacked onto the main radio FM frequencies.

I started shopping and the Important Requirements were that any replacement radio had to be "Tuneable" with a remote (no more reaching -- we both would get a remote), Large Display, Bluetoothable for cell phone connection, and fully integrated with a Sirius Hide-a-way tuner.

I got from Fleabay a Pioneer FH-8000BT Radio that fitted the requirements above, had it installed with a new integrated Sirius Tuner. I was a bit worried about whether or not I should also get/install an external antenna for the Sirius side of the setup. But I read somewhere that I could use the antenna that came with the Sirius Tuner and mount it above the entertainment cabinet near my fiberglass roof on the coach getting the signal through that roof. The installer was a bit skeptical whether or not I would even get a signal through the roof. He had the new Radio & Sirius all installed and the only thing remaining was to test the Sirius antenna. Well, he started by getting up (standing) on my pilot seat with the antenna in hand and didn't even get it up as high as the bottom of the cabinet when the satellite signal came in loud and clear. That antenna puck is now installed via double side sticky tape on top of the entertainment cabinet out of any weather with no hole drilling in the coach.

I do not know your location, but I had ours replaced at Fry's Electronics in our 2006 Fleetwood Expedition. I purchased a Pioneer unit with a USB port, XM Sirus, FM, AM, and remote control. They installed in less than 1 hour and found that I already had a XM antenna installed on the coach. We like the XM radio so that we do not have to change stations as we travel across the country. If you plan to keep your motor home for several years, you can purchase a lifetime plan that in the long run is cheaper. We have 3 XM radios that have Lifetime plans. I also purchased a Bluetooth option for $19 to enable handsfree answering of my cell phone. Because the radio has the USB port, I can plug the charging cable for my cell phone in to the USB port and never run the battery down on the cell phone while traveling.

I had Sirius radio for a while and found that after four or five hours it would repeat. I purchased an IPod down loaded my music and I purchased a Radio with a USB port that plays the music and charges the battery. I can add what ever music or what ever is want to listen to.