Sign in to follow this  
mdawdy712

Towing 2004 Chrysler Sebring

Any one out there had experience towing Chrysler Sebring with tow dolly. Plan to tow behind a 2003 Dolphin but having difficulty figuring out how to properly get the steering lock released without leaving the ignition on and running battery down.

Mdawdy712

Mdawdy 712,

Welcome to the Forum. If you have a steerable tow dolly you do not need to have your steering wheel unlocked. If I understand most all dollys have steerable wheels.

Herman

If no one comes up with a valid answer you can always install a battery disconnect to solve you dead battery issue. I used a battery disconnect like this one for many years:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/battery-safety-switches/1461

You would just drive the car on, hook it up and pull the disconnect blade. Now you can turn the key to the proper position and when you arrive the battery will be as fresh as new.

mhdawdy:

I tow a Volvo fwd on a dolly. I put it in park, withdraw the key, lock the doors and don't need to worry about the steering wheel lock or the battery. The car sits where you put it on the dolly. You don't need to worry about steering, as the dolly wheels do the steering, acting like steerable front wheels for the car. The car's front wheels don't move a millimeter in any direction while strapped to the dolly. When you get where you want to take the car off of the dolly, just unlock and go. No mileage accumulation, no car brake system to worry about, no transmission problems, ....... a trouble free way to get your car to follow you on your trip. If your car is a front wheel drive, this will work for you.