raifordr

Propane Detector Sensitive To Hydrogen?

Does anyone know if the propane gas detector typically installed in RVs will alarm in the presence of Hydrogen?

Recently I've noticed that my propane detector will alarm after about one hour when I'm recharging the coach batteries (4 6V golf cart style batteries) that have been fairly (>70%) discharged. Happens whether I'm running the generator or plugged in to shore power. This only started happening within the last 2-3 months. Also, if my multistage charger senses that the batteries aren't heavily discharged and quickly moves into stage 2, then no alarm at all. I understand that lead acid batteries give off gas (I presume it's hydrogen?) when recharging and am wondering if this is what's happening.

The batteries are located about 5-6' aft of the wall (down near the floor) mounted sensor in an outside fully vented (mostly wide open) compartment and this didn't previously happen so I'm puzzled and of course concerned about safety.

I have to admit that I have never considered the possibility of the detector sensing hydrogen.

The LP detector on my coach failed and needed to be replaced, it was going off frequently with no leaks found in the system. Just maybe that was the reason??

One strange thing that happened to us. The coach sets on its pad at home and the natural gas line(s) run under the ground about 30 ft. from the coach. When we had a small leak in the line, with no wind and cool morning air the Coach LP detector would pick up the leak and sound off an alarm. So they can be very sensitive.

Rich.

Is it fairly common for these to malfunction? I found recently, a couple months ago, that mine was unplugged. I reconnected it and it seemed fine at first. Then I began having problems with it going off at gas stations and also recently, while camping, we had trouble getting the stove lit, we could smell propane, but the sensor did NOT go off. Then after my most recent trip to the gas station, it seems to want to alarm now, more than it will be off. So, at present, it is disconnected once again.

As a rule they have a life of about five years. There is sometimes a "Replace By" date stamped on the case and all that I have seen are five years from the date of manufacture..

They often start sounding false alarms as they reach or go over the date.

They will react to a lot of things besides propane such as hair spray and cleaners. Dogs laying next to them and breaking wind are also said to activate them.