Sign in to follow this  
gbrawley

Suggestions For Trip From Portland OR To Halifax NS This Summer

Question

Howdy,

We are planning an RV trip heading out of Portland Oregon this summer June and July, to take the Northern US route with our 42 ft motor home and tow vehicle. Thinking of taking Highway 90 out of WA and then 94 through Montana, ND and Minnesota. Then Highway 35 through Duluth and into Canada in the Thunder Bay area. In Canada taking the interstates, some time in Niagara Falls US then thru Quebec and into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and PEI.

I really do not enjoy driving in big cities like LA, Washington DC,Boston, Houston etc. So want to plan a route that as much as possible by passes the big traffic.

Our homeward route will be mostly highway 1 through Canada provinces.

I would appreciate any ideas and help you can give me of places to see, any driving hazards to avoid and route help for staying out of the big summer traffic hassles.

Thanks in advance for your help

Jerry

3 answers to this question

If it were me (and it's not) and I had not been through the Western Canadian Rockies, I would head N to Vancouver, BC and then E along 1 through Lake Louise (visit the ice fields from here) and then onto Banff and Calgary. Continue on through Winnipeg and Thunder Bay to Sault Sainte Marie and then back into the States heading for the Falls. Stay on the Canadian side if you are going to stay for a day or 2. Take 90E to 81N back into Canada to avoid Boston and Portland and allow a visit to Quebec City along the way. The rest is obvious.

This is about 4400 miles compared to about 4000 miles the route you are suggesting so the few additional miles should not be an issue. Just be aware that fuel in Canada is quite high and you will likely need at least one fill up going my route.

Thanks RVer on the move, we probably will follow your advice on the return route, my wife is from BC so been to a number of those places. Thought we may like to 94 as never been on that road. I figured some extra fuel cost but I do get 700 miles per tank so should be able to go back and forth a bit but at least a tank or two in Canada.

Any ideas as to planning references for the trip I am a member of AAA here in AZ so should check in there soon. Web sites, have the big rig book and Trailer life big book. But any other places to get travel resources other than AAA which I will use for sure.

thanks again