Rprphillips

New FMCA Member Looking For Advice For Towing

My wife and I have recently become the proud owners of a 41' 2005 Damon motorhome. It has become very obvious that on extended trips, having another vehicle to tow along would be a great asset and we see many other motorhomes on the highway doing just this. We have a 2002 V-8 Ford Explorer 4x4 and would like to make that our toe vehicle. Looking at our owners manual which says we can with a neutral tow kit accessory from Ford and reading all input from others who say this is no longer available, I thought I would ask some seasoned RVer's if anyone has come across this problem and resolved this.

Most of the information I have found on this is several years old and I thought maybe there is a new solution for this now.

We would appreciate any input you might have. We really don't want to have to trade in our car to have a tow vehicle. We would also like to here any ideas on the various tow systems that have proven to be better than others as that will be our next investment.

Thanks for any help you may have,

Rich and Pam

Hi rprphillips, and welcome.

My dad tows a 2003 Explorer Sport Trac behind his DP. His is also a 4x4. About 4 years back he had one of the local Ford dealerships install the neutral switch. I think at the time is cost him about $150 for the switch and the install. He has been pulling it ever since 4 wheels down with no problems. I am not sure of the exact procedure that he does through to get it in neutral, but it only takes him a few seconds after hooking up. The only thing to keep in mind is to start your Explorer and let it run for a few minutes when ever you stop for fuel etc. Ford did not advise him on this but it is always a good idea. I do it on our Jeep even though it says you don't have to. I think its cheap insurance.

As far as the towing equipment. There are many good options. I personally use a Blue Ox Aventa 2. It is the kind that stays on the coach when you unhook. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions and expertise.

Kevin

I use Roadmaster products because of their service. At any convention or rally that they are at, they go around to all the coaches that have Roadmaster tow equiptment and service them for free. They leave a notice when this is done and alert you if there is anything else that needs to be done.

Hi Rich,

I tow a '07 Explorer 4x4. This is the 2nd Explorer I've towed with no problems. My local dealer installed the neutral switch

For less than $200. When we stop for fuel , lunch or over night, I like to crank the car and let it run for a few mins. I also shift gears a few times before switching off and resetting for towing. I don't think this is required, I just like to charge the battery and circulate the transmission fluid. I use Blue Ox towing package. I purchased the Blue Ox with a previous motor home and the 1st Explorer. When I traded motor homes and Explorers I just moved the hitch and have had no problems. Blue Ox has also restored bolts etc on my hitch at no charge. Happy towing and travels! Andy

We have a dp holiday rambler endeavor towing a 2007 ford explorer 4×4.Ford did lose their supplier for a short period of time but are carrying them again we had ours installed last year for 800.00 dollars 295 for the switch + 500 for labor.We also us blue ox towing package.Haven't had any problems at all you don't even know its behind you.

Happy rving

Michael

Ford neutral tow switch for your 2002 Explorer is Ford Pt# 3L2Z7H332AA and, three years ago, was available from Ford parts dept for $25 with installation costing $100. Now, $285 for switch and $85 for installation???? Welcome to The world of supply and demand!!

For two years we have been going in a different direction after years of towing. We traded our 2000 Monaco Dynasty for an Itasca 07 KD/40 DP that has a 60 degree turning radius. We have developed such a freedom of travel by using just our coach like a car/city bus plus an occasional rental that it hard to even think about towing. Just saying