Sign in to follow this  
peanutandskippy2

Beaver-- Soot In Coach

We have a 2005 Beaver 2005.

The engine is a Cat 325HP. After traveling we have a dusting of soot like material on the inside of the windows and curtains. There is not a noticeable odor during traveling.

The engine exhaust does not appear to be black or heavy sooty.

Has anyone had this issue?

And does anyone have any thoughts on the cause?

You will want to check all the seals between bedroom and engine room (or wherever you are seeing the dirt/soot).

Also, the more positive pressure you can generate, the less dirt and dust will be sucked into the interior. That means having the dash system on, vs on recirculate. Also, no vents open behind the driver's area while driving.

We have a 2005 Beaver 2005.

The engine is a Cat 325HP. After traveling we have a dusting of soot like material on the inside of the windows and curtains. There is not a noticeable odor during traveling.

The engine exhaust does not appear to be black or heavy sooty.

Has anyone had this issue?

And does anyone have any thoughts on the cause?

I'm living this, as we speak.

First, I found that someone in the past (we bought the rig two weeks ago) had dragged the back end and caused separation of the tailpipe upstream of the muffler.

Plus, it is a little more sooty around the hatchway seams.

I've pulled the hatchways and retaped them (use aluminum air conditioning ducting tape only) after carefully degreasing them and wiping the metallic surface with denatured alcohol.

And I've repaired the exhaust. This is a PhD level exercise, I'd suggest leaving it to the pros. In fact, having the torn corrugated exhaust ducting replaced is on my to-do list, even though I've reshaped and bonded the OEM part.

Last, we're watching the dryer flapper as a possible culprit. On our rig, it is directly above the exhaust. (Also, two open screw holes from the laundry bay into the engine compartment needed to be filled. But, I don't believe that was a factor in our case, even with the exhaust leak, eg they are two tiny 1/8" openings...)

Brett came up with an excellent idea, that of maintaining positive pressure. We were prepared to put aftermarket fairings on our fans so that they can function rolling down the highway; but, in light of his observation, that might being our undoing! Thanks, Brett.

Let's keep each other advised of the outcome, maybe we can help others avoid having soot ingress...

Been there with a Diesel powered boat. It is called "filtration soiling" , the deposit of dirt on fabrics around "sealed" openings and deposits on other surfaces. Often caused by the station wagon effect drawing dirty air into the vehicle. On my boat it was engine room air and exhaust smoke being drawn thru an engine room access panel into a stateroom. The boat engines were high boost turbo diesels so there was some smoke during light load until warm and then smoke during slow down because the raw water intercoolers cooled the intake air too much.

Tough to fix but Brett's advice about controlling cabin air pressure is the solution.