Sign in to follow this  
jswasky@bellsouth.net

Best Route To Yellowstone

Question

Hello all. I'm hoping to get some input from everyone as to the best route to Yellowstone. My original plan was after leaving St. Louis, Mo heading to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons, and Portland Or. According to Streets & Maps I would take I-90 to US14 to the East Entrance of Yellowstone. However, now I understand that this is a very mountainous route and not the best choice for a RV pulling a toad. Any ideas? I'm driving a 37' Class A pulling a toad.

Thank you for the help!

Patty

3 answers to this question

Hello Patty,

We have traveled much of this territory but don't know all the roads well. I can tell you that the best route through the Rockies is on I-80. The elevations and grades are not as extreme as other routes. Given that, I would suggest dropping west and south from Rushmore (Don't miss Badlands N.P. for scenery and Custer State Park for Buffalo) to Cheyenne, WY. Take I-80 across Wyoming to Rock Springs (Look for antelope along the highway on this stretch). From there US 191 and US 189 will take you to the Tetons and then on north to Yellowstone. 191 and 189 are two lane winding roads but nothing extreme as far as mountains. Beautiful scenery! We like West Yellowstone, MT for a base to explore Yellowstone but you may prefer another area. From West Yellowstone, US 191 or US 287 will take you to I-90 for your trip on to Portland.

This won't be the shortest route but I think you will find it to be without the extremes of high mountains and steep grades for the most part. Enjoy your trip!

This is the text I have posted on Destinations. Note that this greatly modifies my recommendations on all posts related to West Yellowstone as a base of operations for visiting Yellowstone National Park. Study this web site carefully and plan your stay accordingly. In light of this information I am not making any recommendation for where to stay while visiting Yellowstone N.P. It all depends on what you want to see.

Several people have asked about routes to Yellowstone NP. I picked up a caution from another website and visited the Yellowstone web site for the official word. The bridge at Gibbon Canyon is being replaced and this road will be completely closed on August 17, 2009. If you are headed to Yellowstone this summer, be sure to check this web site: http://www.nps.gov/yell/travelalert.htm

This road section links the West and South entrances of the park to the North and East entrances. There is no way around within the park, so it essentially cuts the park in two. The road is scheduled to reopen in December. This may affect your decision of where to camp when you visit the park.

If you love a cross wind go from Cheyenne to Rock Springs, WY. Jackson is beautiful and so are the Tetons. However if I was going west I would take I-90 to Rapid City. Visit Mt Rushmore (a must see at night),Crazy Horse then up Silver City DeadWood and Sturgis (don't go in August).Then on to Buffalo WY on I-90,16 to Woodland (I haven't been on Hwy 16 looks pretty high) and on to THERMOPOLIS. Natural Hot spring Baths, Great small town with several Antique Stores (a must for my wife anywhere we go). Then up to Cody. You must visit the Buffalo Bill museum. Then it is a beautiful drive on into the East Entrance of Yellowstone. This road will take you right by Fishing Bridge Camp Gorund, This is the only full hookup CG in Yelstn. Check with them on your coach length. We have not been west of Yelstn. but getting there is a wonderful trip. Maybe someone can tell you about Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Worland.