benny@waskomtexas.com

Dometic Fridge Not Cooling Well

Our refrigerator, Dometic, is not cooling very well. It is set on max and is only about 30 in the freezer and over 40 in the bottom. I think that it must have a carbon buildup in the burner area. I am reading the web page at:

http://www.woodalls.com/output.cfm?id=2147...k4xgK2wHVbJv%26

But not sure I want to take on the job. Have some of you done this ?

IF cooling while on propane is the problem, the best answer is to pull out your Dometic Refrigerator Owners Manual.

There will be a section on "Burner area tune-up" toward the back. It takes no special tools and no parts.

Do NOT short cut the procedure.

Things that degrade refrigerator performance on propane that you will address are:

1. Dirt in propane jet.

2. Dirt, rust or insect nest in burner tube.

3. Carbon or rust on igniter/thermocouple

4. Igniter/thermocouple gap

Dometic recommends this as an ANNUAL Preventive Maintenance item.

If performance is down on both 120 VAC and on propane, look for obstructions in the air flow in the area behind the refrigerator. Start by checking for insect, bird or animal nests in the vent areas.

If you have had this problem every time the ambient temperature is high/you park with the refrigerator side of the coach in the sun, pull out your Dometic manual and read about recommended side and top clearances. Too much clearance above the refrigerator WILL diminish cooling.

Also, installation in a slide out where the hot air has to vent to the side rather than out the roof does lead to diminished performance. Often one has to install 2 small 12 VDC muffin fans at the top of the coils to exhaust hot air OUT.

And always remember, the refrigerator PC board runs on 12 VDC, so if the batteries are low, don't expect the refrigerator to perform properly.

Brett Wolfe