GeraldScott

Convection Microwave Oven Installation

I want to replace my current Sharp Microwave with a Convection/Microwave. My concern is with the venting of convection heat.

Our unit is a Monaco, Monarch 2000 year model.

Is there anyone who can provide some expertise on this subject?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Is a convection oven a must have? Last year I replaced my microwave with a Kenmore 1.2 cu ft with a curved back wall. Its only available in one model but it is great for cleaning because there are no corners in the back.

Thanks Desertdeals69 for your response. It is not that a Convection Microwave is a necessity. It is a matter of allowing more options in the confined space of a RV. Along with the safety issue of heat ventilation.

My Itasca and my brothers Winnebago came with the Sharp convection oven microwave. I don't see any difference in the venting of the hood but I don't know if there are internal shields or something like that. It does appear different on the outside and looks the same vent as a regular microwave vent hood

DW fell in love with the convection microwave that came with our RV in 2006. She did not use the convection for the first 6 months. We recently replaced the black Sharp Convection for the 2nd time. The original black Sharp went south after 3 years, and the 2nd black sharp went south after almost 3 years. The current sharp is silver. The black model was out of stock everywhere.

It puts out a lot of heat, most of the heat is vented through the bottom vents See the grill vents below the Convection Microwave.

IMAG0401.jpg

The original Sharp lasted about 3 years, of almost continuous full time use. The 2nd Sharp went south after almost 3 years of a lot of use.

We are on the 3rd Sharp. However, on the current Sharp it is plugged into independent surge plug. We hope to get a longer use out of this one.

Tried to locate a different brand, but no use for the size we needed to fit the current space without modification.

After almost 7 years, the same R820 Sharp Carousel Convection Microwave is still available.

I tried to convince DW to just install a standard microwave. I feared my diet would be restricted because she uses the convection for everything and loves it, therefore, so do I. It is a great invention.

If possible get one that is designed for cabinet installation. In convection mode those suckers put out hot exhaust air. I installed one in my first motor home and after about 45 minutes the temp behind it got up to 200 degrees. It took a lot of work to add an exhaust and a vent though the wall to get the temp down to a reasonable level.

If intended for cabinet installation it willl vent out of the front - at least the ones I have seen do.

There are also build in kits available for many/some countertop convection microwaves.

If possible get one that is designed for cabinet installation. In convection mode those suckers put out hot exhaust air. I installed one in my first motorhome and after about 45 minutes the temp behind it got up to 200 degrees. It took a lot of work to add an exhaust fan and a vent though the wall to get the temp down to a reasonable level.

If intended for cabinet installation it will vent out of the front - at least the ones I have seen do.

There are also build in kits available for many/some countertop convection microwaves.