dant56258

Route To Las Vegas

Question

I am planning a trip that will include going from Kingman, AZ to Las Vegas. We have a 39' RV and will be towing a vehicle. Should I go north and cross the boulder dam or go west through Laughlin to Highway 95 and head north into Las Vegas. I know there is construction near the dam and the road may be narrow.

1 answer to this question

Both roads are fine until you reach the Dam. I prefer to go up 95, a two lane, undivided road, with many pull outs to permit faster vehicles to pass. Flat, boring, good cell service, and a few fuel stops. If you go across the Dam, the highway up is two lanes each direction, divided, and there are no fuel stops after the Laughlin turnoff.

If you have never crossed Boulder Dam, it is a beautiful sight. Just before you reach the Dam, there will be a Federal check station. Got'a protect the Dam. You will be asked to open all compartments, and a TSA officer will probably ask to board the MH. You may not carry a firearm onto the Dam, and they ask. There are a couple of tight turns as you descend to cross the Dam, but the speed limit is 15mph, so it really isn't a problem, then a few more tight turns as you ascend on the Nevada side. A really big turnout on the Arizona side will permit you to turn out, climb out, and enjoy the beautiful view. It really is a sight to see. On weekends the pedestrian crowd can make it a little less fun to drive across the Dam.

Happy Trails.