Sign in to follow this  
fighterpilot

Well Built Coaches, Max 34', Sleep 6 To 8, $25,000 budget?

You are kidding, right? Most of the "well-built" coaches that can tow 7500# are diesel pushers, come with higher displacement engines and are almost always longer than 34'. Lower horsepower usually relates/comes with shorter coaches as the coach weighs less than a 40 foot coach thus needs less horsepower to move.

Also, sleeping arrangements become more complex the shorter the coach due to the lesser space for everything.

$25,000 for one of the "well-built" coaches with the features you want would be an awesome find and I'll bet there would be a lot of folks standing in line if there is such a coach.

Good Luck in your search. Please let us know what you find.

nitehawk,

You just haven't been shopping lately. A month ago had a contract on a 1998, 38 foot Monaco Dynasty being traded in for a 200000 dollar one. But couple decided to trade it in to the Lazy Days dealer in AZ vice Fl so passed on that one. Contract was for 20,000 dollars. They also had a 1996 38 Dynasty for $16,000.

So the fall back was to buy a 1997 38 foot Monaco Dynasty for $22,000 in Naples. Pristine shape, all Manuals and maintenance records in detail for the last 10 years. Every thing worked, Tires 2 years old. People weren't exactly standing in line since it had been on the market for a month. Drove it 600 miles home, but decided it was too big for our country roads and our use so sold it 1 month later. Both of these had the Cummins 8.3, one was 300HP the other was 325HP. Looking for something not more than 34 feet. Another Monaco Dynasty would work if could find one.at 34 feet and they had the 8.3l Cummins as well. Just change out one of the sofas for a booth dinette and can sleep 6 vice the 5. You know they are a fine coach so I wasn't kidding--they are there just got to find them. They can tow 10,000 lbs legally.

I thought maybe a forum such as this could help out but based on your reaction I may be disappointed. . .

I apologize for the comment about kidding. I am a bit surprised that there would be a Quality 34' coach that sleeps eight and could safely tow anything that weighed almost half the weight of the coach for the price you indicated. Most coaches with the capacities you want are longer, as you noted in your last post. Also, many newer models with slides can(I say CAN) be a bit crowded with the slides in with eight people aboard. 10,000# towing capacity is a bit different from towing safely and comfortably.

I honestly hope you find a coach that fits your parameters. Stay on this website, check out www.nationalmultilist.com/ for a lot of coaches. I, personally, would recommend looking for a decently priced, well-cared for 36' coach and you might have a lot more choices to choose from that would meet your requirements.

I don't know where you are located but try Motorhomes of Texas and Foretravel motorhomes websites. Usually a good selection to choose from.

Nitehawk, I agree an 8 sleeper, quality might be rare, but I consider Dynastys quality coachs and there are some other 34 footers than can sleep 6 or models that can have one of the sofas replaced with a booth dinette and can sleep 6. Realize sleeping might not be the best term but with kids not a big issue. As far as weight the 7000 lbs is actually only about a third of the weight of the 34-38 dynastys. Don't want slides. Appreciate the suggestions as to search links. I'm in that mode as of now. Thanks

What about a converted 1950's or 60's flx, 4104, or similar converted bus. You can find these frequently for under 25K and they might meet your sleeping requirements.

fighterpilot,

If no one has said it yet, Welcome to FMAC and The Forum. Sorry but you do have a strange request. Slides did not come out on most coaches until after 1996. Some were out before. What you asked for was a quality built coach, Monaco, Beaver, Holiday Rambler, American, Tiffin, Safari, Nemar and so on all make quality units. With 34 feet max and could sleep 6 to 8. One you would need a 4 slide unit with 2 sleeper couches. This would give you beds for 6 people. With small children that could sleep with their parents you could make it to 8. Then there is the safety factor. You would need seating for 6 people on couches with seat belts plus the pilot and co-pilot makes 8. Then there would be the towing factor. There are alot of folks out there towing all sorts of things. On any coache you look at you will need a 10,000 lb hitch. A auxilary brake would be a must.

There is an old saying with Motor Home folks," I will show to 8, entertain 6, feed 4 and sleep 2."

We all hope you find the unit you are looking for and when you do let us know what you found so other folks wanting the same may learn from you.

Good Luck and Happy Travels.

Herman

Try this site just for kicks www.busforsale.com

Many coaches with the booth dinette can belt 4 and the sofa 3 so there are 7 right away and with the two up front that is 9 pretty easy. So it is doable. Sleep the grandparents in the rear, the parents on the sofa sleeper and the kids on the booth dinette and the floor. In the case of the coachman with the sofas can make into a king side bed with insert in the middle. But don't think the coachman can tow 7000lbs. I have had two class A in the late 80s and early 90s so know about sleeping arrangements and the small size etc, but can live with that. To sum up sleeping will accept rear bed, booth dinette, and sleeper sofa. we'll make that work even if I have to take out a sofa and put in dinette. No slides needed.

As for towing know toad would have to have brakes, but need the GCWR and the hitch itself to be able to handle 7000 lbs. Monaco Dynastys will but I don't know about others. Hoping someone with the "others" can chime in and shed some light on my quest. Anyone towing 7000 lb trailer or vehicle with Gas? How does that work? We live in southeast so don't really expect to be out in the real Mountains of the West but maybe once in a lifetime.

Appreciate the welcome and the expert advice I am getting. Ray

Many coaches with the booth dinette can belt 4 and the sofa 3 so there are 7 right away and with the two up front that is 9 pretty easy. So it is doable. Sleep the grandparents in the rear, the parents on the sofa sleeper and the kids on the booth dinette and the floor.

Actually, the booth dinette on the two coaches (1991 Tiffin and 1989 Fleetwood) I've owned did not have belts, so we could only belt 3 people on the sofa, one on the swivle chair and one in the co-pilots seat making 6 people in seat belts at the maximum.

Aztec, The booth dinette on my last 1997 MH, a small Class C had belts on one side of the booth and I added two to the other side. Some booths have belts from the factory. Since your MHs were so old I can understand why they didn't have belts. It wasn't a big thing yet.. .

Not many quality MHs available by limiting length to 34 so going to up length to max of 36 and budget to $30,000, but stay in the Nintys time frame. Finding some Monacos, and a Country Coach and an American Eagle now an then. The HR, Fleetwoods, and the Coachmans might work if I could find one that can LEGALLY tow 7000 lbs. Need to tow GMC Sierra which books says weights 6700 lbs. Thanks