lhumburger

Jack Pads

Just retired and my wife and I are ready to hit the road. We a green, green, green to everything about

motor-homing. Just purchased a 2011 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 37 feet and love it.

Now back to the reason for being here. I see a lot of different jack pads out there.

I have a single 12 inch plate in the front and two 10 inch plate jacks in the back.

Who has the best pads?

I make my own out of treated 2 by lumber and treated 3/4 plywood that is glued and screwed together to make the height and foot print that I want. Typically I use one layer of plywood, one layer of 2 by lumber and another layer of plywood. Total height is almost 3 inches. This is enough to not warp on wet ground with the weight of the coach on them. Whatever you do just be sure to not use too much height to raise the rear wheels off the ground. If you do, the coach can roll which will damage the jacks usually beyond repair.

Mr. Boyer, thank you so much. The roll off is something I had not thought about. I did think about possibly making them out of wood, etc. when

I saw some other posts, but didn't know if they would work well. Thank you again.

Larry

Our HWH leveling jacks are the swing down type. When swung down I then can locate my plywood pads directly under the jack pads. I made my pads from one 1/4 sheet of 3/4" thick plywood. This makes 8 approximately 12"x12" squares. I glued and then deck screwed them together in pairs--four pads total as we have four leveling jacks. I drilled a 1/2" hole near each corner-thru- so I could place and retrieve the pads using my awning rod. Works great. Been using them for four years now.

Basically the same as nitehawk. Only real difference is that I used Liquid Nails to glue two of the squares together. Been using these for 3 years with no problem.