Sign in to follow this  
Pxr177

12-Volt Wiring Issues on Fourwinds Chateau

My unit is a 2008 Fourwinds Chateau. The truck is a Ford 450. I wrote previously about my problems and am following up.

I have two issues -- related, I think. One is that my 12-volt system does not supply power when not connected to shore power. When connected, all is well, EXCEPT there is no power to the slide motors. The motors do work if power is supplied externally as in a battery. I have been told it is most likely fuses. Here is where it gets interesting ....

The electrical schematic supplied by Fourwinds shows the layout of the power panel. They say they have no other schematic. But of course, someone must know which wires go where into that panel. I removed the panel under the fridge. Behind it are several sets of wires. There is a black box the size of a pack of cigarettes -- I think it may be the isolator. One lead going into it has power. One does not. There is another set of wires leading down (I suspect to the slide motors), again without power.

So my question is, where are the fuses located? I have attached the pics. Comments will be appreciated.

post-18393-0-75048000-1370396626_thumb.jpost-18393-0-87755700-1370396651_thumb.jpost-18393-0-85501500-1370396666_thumb.j Paul

Hi Paul,

Your pictures show the slide controller and the control circuit fuses. They look to be 5 amps in size and you mention they are good. To check and see if they are slide control fuses, you can pull one and see if the slide goes out, if it did then see if it retracts with the fuse you removed. should it not retract then it would make sense that these are indeed the motor control circuit fuses and the box is the slide controller, not a battery isolator.

The two items screwed to the wood block are auto resetting fuses, the size (amp capacity) should be on them. They control the high current circuits. Check them by reading for 12 volts between both sides and ground.

I can not tell for sure if the larger wires are connected to theses fuses or not. The black units at the top of the picture are control relays from what I can make out from the pictures.

Are there any numbers on the black box looking object (Slide Controller) other then STOP that I can read. Looks like an information label on top.

The red wire with power, can you tell where it goes ? to a fuse or to the battery?

The wire with no power looks like it loops up and around and exits to the right, and goes to where? The slide motor? or a relay / fuse?

To run the motor in and out means the voltage across the motor must be reversed and the slide work. Where are you attaching power for the slide when it works?

With shore power on, measure where you read 12 volts and then disconnect shore power and make some readings. Are they the same?

You need to see or fine any different readings. making notes and label the wires in some manner indicating the difference.

Now, looking at your drawings list all the numbers from the information you have on the drawings, Any numbers or model information on the bottom or top of the page(s) no mater how small and post them for me.

I need to see if I can get a copy of the drawing you have, so we can have a better exchange of information.

I will be on and off line over the next week, but I will try to keep an eye on your post and feedback.

Rich.

Thanks for the prompt reply. The schematic is a PDF file and too large to submit here (90K) I can email it , or figure out how to reduce a PDF file.

The slides are currently out. We used power from a battery pack to move them. Now, they do not move on their own, but we do hear the click from the solenoid when we try to pull them in.

The schematic shows DD as the fuse for the slide motor, and on the schematic the DD is right beside each motor.

We don't see anything near them. Also, since both motors are non responsive, it seems to me that there is one source for the disconnect, so its likely that one fuse protects both circuits at once.

I sent the pics to Thor and they say they will get back to me.

The good news is we are parked for the summer, so I have time to get this right. I am not good with electrical, so it will be a week or two before my buddy comes back to look at the connections and answer the other questions.

Paul

Still working on the problem. I don;t know if its a problem because Thor took over Four Winds, or its a four Winds problem, but they have been unable to pinpoint where the slide fuse is. As I suggested to them, this must be a single fuse problem. the motors work if power is supplied directly, and they bot stopped working at the same time. So where is the fuse? their last schematic suggested it was on the fuse panel, but that was not correct. then they suggested it might be in the wiring under the bed, but there is only the AC outlet and the water pump under the bed. So where o where did my little fuse go? What does it look like, cartridge or bayonet. What is the amperage. help!!

paul

Hi Paul, The one test you could run on the wiring, is to use a circuit tester used on the phone and IT systems.

One knows where one end of the wire is, so they connect a tone generator to that end and use a receiver to trace the wire back to its source.

Often referred to as a fox and hound, circuit tracer.

Link to one model, only so you can read the owners manual to see how they work.

http://www.northendrental.com/Documents/Manuals/Greenlee/Greenlee%202011%20Power%20Finder%20Circuit%20Seeker.pdf

They can be pricy, so look around. Something in the 50 to 75 dollar range should work or see if you can locate a rental unit.

Rich.