matt8892@verizon.net

2005 Monaco Lapalma Headlights

Okay, this Friday I am leaving at night. I have driven the motorhome in the dark before and remember that the headlights do not work well, even though the lenses are in perfect condition. I have to turn the highbeams on to have the same amount of visibility I have with my car and I get a little nervous when I have to drive the motorhome at night.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make the headlights better? I was almost thinking I could just get new bulbs that are brighter or something. Would that work? Does anyone else have a LaPalma that has the same problem with the headlights?

Okay, this Friday I am leaving at night. I have driven the motorhome in the dark before and remember that the headlights do not work well, even though the lenses are in perfect condition. I have to turn the highbeams on to have the same amount of visibility I have with my car and I get a little nervous when I have to drive the motorhome at night.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make the headlights better? I was almost thinking I could just get new bulbs that are brighter or something. Would that work? Does anyone else have a La Palma that has the same problem with the headlights?

Check voltage at the bulbs (or high and low beam terminals if a single bulb) with the engine running. Then check voltage at the battery with the engine running.

If the reading at the headlight bulb is more than .3 or .4 VDC lower than at the battery, you can fairly inexpensively fix this. And certainly, a headlight operating , say, 12.5 VDC will be less bright than one operating at, say, 13.7 VDC.

On the vast majority of vehicles, the power to run the headlights goes through the light switch. There is resistance (which reduces voltage and therefore headlight brightness) in all the yards of wiring, the switch itself, connectors, etc.

The "FIX" is to use the head light switch ONLY to turn on a relay that supplies the headlights. You will need two relays, one for low beams, one for high beams.

Power for the headlights will go directly from the battery through large gauge wire to the relay (located in a protected area under the hood area). And from the relay in large gauge wire to either the high or low beam lights.

The relay will be controlled by the wire that currently supplies low/high beams.

Total cost should be under $25.

Brett Wolfe