jasonspector

Fluids on Monaco Diesel Motorhome

I have a 1992 Manaco Signature Royal With A Cummins C 8.3T 330-horsepower engine.

What antifreeze do you use, and when should the coolant filter cartridge be replaced? Also, can you tell me what type of power steering/hydraulic fluid I should use, and is there a change interval for this fluid?

Thanks for any Help.

Jason Spector

Jason,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There are basically three types of coolants:

"Regular coolant" like you will find at most Walmarts, Auto parts houses, etc. Good for cars-- NOT FOR HEAVY DUTY DIESEL ENGINES.

"Low silicate for diesel coolant with added SCA (Supplemental Cooling Additive). What came in your cooling system. SCA must be tested for and added (it is used up as it protects your cylinder liners). The coolant cartridge can come with varying quantities of SCA from zero (see below)-- 4 units is a common maintenance dose. Again, TEST, don't just add SCA. Three year life.

The new generation OAT based coolants. Double the life of the low silicate coolants with no checking and adding SCA. Only add a maintenance dose if driven over 300,000 miles during its 6 year life. Yes, this is the one many of us have gone to. With a Cummins engine, I would consider Fleetguard (Cummins brand) ES Complet OAT. If a Caterpillar, Caterpillar ELC.

Can't tell you what hydraulic fluid is in yours-- ATF, hydraulic fluid and engine oil are all possibilities. You do need to find out what is in YOURS-- not listen to what is in OURS (my last coach used Delo 400 15-40, present coach ATF). There are also filter/filters in the hydraulic system that need to be changed every couple of years.

Re coolant for newer Cummins...another recommended brand is Peak "Final Charge Global Extended Life."