hermanmullins

Cummins Isl 400 Smoking

We have a 2002 Monaco Dynasty with a Cummins ISL 400. This week, while taking the coach to have the Norcold recall done, I experienced loss of power and billows of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. I left it running while calling Coach-Net.

During the call the engine cleared up and ran fine. When I was returning from having the service done, it statred to smoke and lose power again. This time it took over 45 minutes to clear up. One service center did over five hours of diagnosis and found nothing wrong. They drove it almost 100 miles during their investigation and had no problems.

Next, I took the motorhome to our local Cummins dealer for work associated with a technical bullentin. They found weird code and are having to call Cummins. When they started to pull it into the shop, white smoke and no power again.

Sorry for the long explination. But has anyone out there had a similar problem? If it was solved, what was found?

All help greatly appreicated.

We have the ISL 400 and have experienced just brief periods of smoke recently. These have always occurred first thing in the morning as we are beginning traveling. Generally where we go from slow travel and turn onto a higher speed roadway. Ours clears after 10 or 15 seconds. The only other incidents of smoking we have had related to a broken oil line feeding the turbocharger. That was fixed by replacing the oil line.

When you get a solution to your problem from Cummins, please post it here so that we can all learn about your solution.

Well we got the coach back from Cummins today. There is a technical bullentin (camp0330A) to recalibrate for Injection Timing During Overheat- ISL.In driving back from Cummins (aprox. 45 miles) I had no reorrucance of the problem. This was all done at no cost to us, as it fall within the emission section. I will let you know if there is any change. You might take your Engine Serial Number to your Cummins Dealer and have them check it for any Service Bullentins. I appear to me that Service Bullentins are not advertised to the public but you can get the information at Cummins.

Thanks for you Responce.

Herman (AKA Grumpy)

Herman, you don't sound so grumpy to me! Thanks for the information, if I get another occurrence I'll have the information I need. If it doesn't occur before I get to Cummins for regular maintenance I'll bring it up to them at that time. Great to have the information.