Sign in to follow this  
jimjpr

1999 Cruise Master Fuel Pump

I have a 1999 Cruise Master motorhome and the fuel pump went out.

I replaced it and the new one is out again.

I would like to install an inline fuel pump.

Just need to know what size should I need.

Jim

Jim,

What chassis do you have?

Have you pulled the bad pump? Is there evidence or rust or crud from the tank clogging the in-tank pump?

Howl long ago did you replace the pump-- some have been redesigned?

Hi Jim,

What engine do you have and how many miles on the new fuel pump?

What type of fuel delivery system, fuel injectors or throttle body carburetor?

There might be other issue(s) that took out the old one and the new pump. Fuel filters, dirt in fuel tank or a blocked fuel return line.

That being the case an inline fuel pump may not solve the problem.

Rich.

I have a GM 454 fuel injector. The new pump only has maybe 200 miles on it and I change the filter when I replaced the fuel pump. I haven't pulled the pump yet to see what is going on with it. All I know a new pump should work more the 200 miles.

Thanks for responding

Jim

Wow ! That is like only 30 to 40 gallons of gas Tops!!!

I would venture you have an issue(s) that need to be addressed before installing any type of fuel pump...

Have you changed ALL the fuel filters, there is one along the frame rail,curb side about mid frame that has threaded connections because of the pressure in the system.

The other item that is missed frequently is the fuel return line. There is a section of rubber line right near the point where the steel return line enters the frame, just in front of the right front top A frame member for the suspension. This hose can get crimped or pinched off thus restricting fuel flow adding abnormal restriction and pressure into the system. Look it over closely. Its a preformed hose when a supplied OEM part is used.

The other and harder item to check is the fuel tank for an accumulation of rust that can plug up the filter sock inside the tank supply line. Gas tanks that are not stored with a full load of fuel can rust quickly and the rust only has one place to go, the bottom of the tank. Not good for an engine that is always hungry for fuel.

One can get a small electric fuel pump and insert it into the supply line(connection made where the filter enters the filter with the proper connection) and see if there is a good flow of fuel through the pump as it flows into an empty gas can. No sparks or ignition source and plenty of fresh air running this test !!!!

If it takes longer then the specification on fuel rate for the pump to fill a given sized gas can, then there is a very good possibility of a restricted pickup in the tank.

Rich.

I have a 60 gallon tank and changed the filter when I installed the new pump. The new pump wasn't the same one that the tank called for. It was crossed reference to the original pump that was in the tank.

limjpr,

When you mention changing the filter, are you referring to the filter in the gas tank?

Did you change any of the other filters?

When you installed the pump did you check or have the fuel pressure checked?

Do you remember who made the pump or where you purchased it ?

Rich.

Thanks Rich,

I changed the inline fuel filter, didn't know they had one in the tank. I didn't check the pressure but it seems to be running good when it did run. Don't know the name brand of the new but do know where they got it from. I think I'm going to replace everything from the radiator cap to the back bumper. Just kidding.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim