Sign in to follow this  
JohnQFWB

Question SK-3005

What DirecTv parts are necessary to upgrade a SK-3005 to a true SWM Multiswitch antenna?

The reason I ask is that a SK-3005 is about $250 cheaper than a SWM3 system, and I may already have the DTV Parts onhand.

Well, a little Internet shopping & I found an online store selling the SWM3 Winegard at $1,519 with free shipping, so I pulled the trigger on it. That is about the same price as the SK 3005's on clearance prices.

Bill - Another related question. My Safari MH has RG6 Coax that originates in the front entertainment cabinet, somewhere splits via a splitter with one path going to a basement coax cable outlet, and the second path going to the rear bedroom TV cabinet. I would like to replace both coax cable runs with HDMI cable runs. I have two 40 foot runs of HDMI & a HDMI Splitter, and have tested the setup laying the HDMI cables loosely in the hallway. Works great. Now the hard part, FINDING the pathways of the old RG6 cables/runs, and re-running the new HDMI cables. Got any good tips/techniques/tools, etc.???? Or should I just bite the budget bullet and go have it done at Camping World in Wilsonville Oregon?

Cable routing is really coach dependent.

With your Safari, look at coming down from the front TV area through the drivers forward pillar (between windshield and front left window). Remove the cover and you will see that you have room in there.

Then down into front compartment, over fuel tank along with other existing wiring, through basement to your chosen location(s).

Brett

Bill - What DirecTv parts are necessary to upgrade a SK-3005 to a true SWM Multiswitch antenna? The reason I ask is that a SK-3005 is about $250 cheaper than a SWM3 system, and I may already have the DTV Parts onhand.

There is a kit on the Winegard web site. As I recall it was less than $200 but I have slept since then so it could be more.

Brett's solution worked well for me. I wasn't running HDMI cable but found that route relatively easy to use. I didn't see anything that would make a difference for HDMI cable.

The windshield post on our coach did take some disassembly. Two ceiling panels had to come off, the curtain rod and the drivers side window sun shade all had to come down before I could get the cover off the post. Once that was all off, the cord could be dropped down to the generator compartment and from there it was wire ties and drilling a few holes.

If you decide to have someone else do this for you, take a careful look at their work. CW (Denver) did the install when we replaced our inverter and the remote control wires were run under suspension parts that move. I caught the problem before they finished the job. They moved the wires, took them about an hour to undo and then redo their work. If I hadn't noticed, the wires would have been stretched and broken.

John

I have the SK-3005 and to get my working i just called Direct TV and explained ever thing to the tech.

​They sent me 2 kits and now I have H.D, and can record 2 shows at the same time.

No cost to me at all. :rolleyes: