Sign in to follow this  
Poppo

Fiberglass Roof Lifting

First of all let me say that the FMCA forums with the contributors and their knowledge are FMCA's best asset ... Thank you!

Now for my challenge .... I am getting ready to wash and wax the fiberglass roof (2009 Sportscoach) and after inspecting same I have noticed the fiberglass lifting from the sub roof near the edges, the seam running front to back where the fiberglass roof attaches to the side. Although it is lifting (bubbled) in spots, the sealant on the seam appears to be attached and making a seal. In the areas where the fiberglass is lifting it is still attached to the seam sealant and the sealant also moves with the fiberglass but appears to be water tight. It still appears to be making a bond to the fiberglass. It appears that there should be an adhesive between the fiberglass skin and the roof structure and it is failing. I am not familiar with the construction process and if this situation should be expected and if not ... is there a procedure that might be recommended.

On two occasions this past year I have had my MH in a shop for work to be done. Since I do not like to climb on the roof, I have asked them to do routine inspection of the roof and each time it gets a clean bill.

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Poppo

Thank you for your reply, .... I think you may be right. I was hoping that maybe there was a syringe process that could be used and the seam wouldn't have to be compromised.

When a fiberglass roof is originally installed is it adhered to the subsurface with a bonding agent spread over 100% of the area?

Had a very similar problem with the Itasca Horizon. Basically a poor job sealing from the factory and I actually had some leaks from some winter traveling because the sealant was actually separated in spots. It took a while but I lifted the curved part of the roof a few inches at a time, scraped some of the old adhesive away and applied with a caulking gun a 50 year sealant adhesive on both sides of the coach three years ago. It still looks good today and solved my leaking problem. David