Sign in to follow this  
fzeuner

Best Route to Gatlinburg TN from Atlanta Ga

Question

I'm heading to the Smokeys from Lakeland Florida. I need to know if going up over the Smokeys on Route 23/441 is a good idea.

I have a 38 foot Fleetwood with a 360 Cummins, but i also tow an F150 4X4. Any advise would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

I drove it in a 35 ft. diesel pusher, towing a Geo Tracker. I made it OK, but will never do that route again in a similar or larger situation. Rig should be no problem, I encountered too many idiots pulling fifth wheels that do not believe that my rig was as important to me as theirs were to them. IE., they like to hover across the yellow line, and there are several hairpin turns on that route.

Best advice is to continue on I75 to Knoxville, take the bypass and then up I40 east to exit 407, Seveireville, Pigeon Forge exit. At Pigeon Forge take 411 N to Veterans Parkway (very short from 441), turn right follow past Dollywood, back to 441 then left to Gatlinburg. A little farther, nor as scenic as going over the Smokies.

While Parked, there are plenty beautiful rides that are not too far from where parked. Don't for to take a tour of Cataloochee ranger station, the Elk and lots of other wildlife are abundant.

Hope you have a fun trip.

Kay

Kay,

Thanks for the advise.. I looked at a map and see where Veterans Parkway will by pass Pigeon Forge. That should be a big help.

I used to be one of those fifth wheelers and always tried to make sure I stayed on my side.

Thanks again,

Frank

Frank,

I wasn't referring to all fifth wheelers, I've had three of so far, and thousands of the good ones like yourself to pass and repass. I've been rv'ing over twenty five years, and have had more problems with four wheel automobile/pickup trucks than any other vehicles on the road. They like to pass and cut in too soon, then apply brakes to slow down slower than I was already driving. I live close to B'ham., and usually go to Pigeon Forge twice a year. We love the area as there is many things to do there. Veterans parkway during busy times will cut as much as one and a half hours off of drive if you are going that far, if you want to go Wears valley route, simply turn right on Teaster Lane, just before 441.

Happy trails' Kay

You didn’t say when you were going so I decided to put in my 2 cents.

I would take 985 to 85 north out of Atlanta. 85 to Spartanburg then 26 to 40 get off 40 at exit 440 hiway 73/ 321 folow that to Gatlinburg. Yes it is a little longer but much easier drive. I was there Labor Day weekend. I drove 440 in my toad I could have in the RV but lots of tight turns no shoulder and lots of traffic. They were also doing road work in a couple of places. I prefer the easier rout it is a little longer but not as nerve racking.

Bill