markstella

Batteries During Storage

I'm writing on behalf of a friend.

His question is : When I put the coach in storage (non-use ) and leave it plugged in, should I put the batteries on store or just leave as is? With the batteries as is, the water level needs to be checked monthly or so.

Will it hurt anything leaving them plugged in yet turned off?

Coach is a '99 American Eagle

It has a Heart Interface by Freedom 2-chassis batteries, 4 coach batteries.

Mark, the key is to keep an eye on the water levels and check the charging setup on the charger.

I find that the battery's need water about every 8 to 10 weeks, need about one gallon of distilled water to top them off. with the Freedom system in my coach.

One could remove the batteries and place them where they would not freeze, but he would also need a trickle charger to keep them in good condition. So it might just be easier to leave them in the coach.

Rich.

Thanks Rich. He's going to Florida in mid January. I dont think he wants to fill batteries in the cold northeastern New York. He turns the switch to store, will it still be charging the batteries or is it disconected from the charging system?

There are coaches wired such that they do not charge with the battery switch off. Others continue to charge whether the battery disconnect switch is on or off. But, that is very easy to determine:

Check voltage when plugged in, batteries disconnected for at least 2 days.

Check voltage when plugged in, batteries connected.

And, as Rich said, it is very important to have the inverter/charger properly programmed. Instructions are in the inverter/charger manual.

Brett

Winnebago’s in general do not charge the house batteries with the battery disconnect switch activated.

On mine I use a BatteryMinder Plus float charger than can be left on all the time without harming the batteries or causing water use.

When we had a 3000 tree commercial peach orchard in CO we used one to keep the farm equipment batteries charged all winter. The BatteryMinder can keep as many as four batteries charged at the same time.