anthonysamardich

Motorhome Batteries in Winter Storage - Connect, Disconnect?

I have a class A Diesel motorhome that will be stored outside. Last year I did not hook it up to electric over the winter. I came home in the spring with four dead batteries.

Questions: Should I disconnect the wires on the batteries over the winter? Or, should I keep the motorhome hooked up to electric? Or, should I have someone come over and help me remove the batteries from the unit?

I've been getting conflicting answers from motorhome owners.

If you have a smart charger or smart inverter charger and it is properly programmed, leave it plugged in 24/7. Please let us know what converter, charger or inverter charger you have and we can advise.

If in extreme cold and you can't keep then fully charged (i.e. plugged in or solar charger with no snow on it), yes remove them and store in an area above freezing. Even a 5 watt solar panel (if exposed to the sun-- not in the Pacific NW, covered with snow, etc) should keep them charged if you start with fully charged batteries. But, easy to test-- just put a voltmeter from positive to negative terminal-- 12.7-13.5 is OK, particularly in cooler temperatures.

Even if you disconnect them, they will "self-discharge" over the winter.

Storing a battery deeply discharged materially shortens it's life.

Brett

I myself would start with fully charged batteries,remove negative cables,clean tops of batteries and forget about them. A good fully charged battery with no drain will not self discharge if in good condition.

This is proven here in North Dakota every winter by farmers who do not even disconnect cables. Even dirt or corrosion on battery top will cause a small current drain.

If you are still concerned by a small battery tender charger and leave it plugged in. Regardless of what you do remove at least the negative cables.

Dave

Actually, 5% a month is the commonly accepted discharge rate for a wet cell battery in excellent condition.

If you have a smart charger, properly programmed and 120 VAC available, IMO that is a better option.

wolfe10: How do I check if I have a "smart charger or smart inverter charger". Or is that a aftermarket item.

Or, I do have a Amorphous Solar Panel 12 Volt with Auto Lighter Adapter (continuous charging) 1.5 Watts. But I thought this would be to small to charge 4 batteries. Could leave it in the window in side the unit, no snow problems.
Thank You
Marianne

Wolfe10: More info for you.

Sine Wave Inverter RS400 by Xantrex, Ac output 120 vac, 60 HZ, 400VA

3.3a RMS Continuous

800VA Surge for 5 seconds

AC Input (pass-Though)

120 VAC, 60 HZ, 6A max

DC Input

12 VDC Nominal

40A Continous Max

Maximum Ambient

Operating Temp 40 degree C

Progressive Dynamic "Intel Power 9100 (Power Converter)

Model PD 9145A

input 105-130 Vac, 60 HZ, 725 Watts

Output 13.6 VDC, 45 Amp

(Includes Charging & Load)

Hope this information is what you needed from me.

Thank you again

Marianne

Marianne,

OK, that unit is a small (400 watt) inverter ONLY, not an inverter charger-- it only takes 12 VDC and "makes" 120 VAC or accepts 120 VAC from an external source and "passes it through". It does not charge the batteries.

The good news concerning your converter is that it has or you can easily add a CHARGE WIZARD to convert it from a "stupid" converter to a smart three state one: http://www.progressivedyn.com/rv_converter_pd9145a_2.html