Sign in to follow this  
wildebill308

Setting Up New Toad

I am looking at a new Honda CRV. Has anyone talked the dealer into doing the base plate install and wiring to make it ready to tow? If you didn’t do the work, then who did you get to do the work?

Thanks.

Bill

I went to a local RV service shop. They ordered the base plate, tow bar, brake system and installed it all on our 2012 Toyota Corolla (manual transmission). I also took the MH in and they did the wiring and made sure all the systems worked together. They had to install a drop bar on the MH to make sure the tow bars were nearly level while towing. They also installed a hot wire from the MH to the toad.

The systems work great.

sam

I did my own. Its really not that difficult if you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions. I went with Blue Ox equipment for towing and braking and the Tow Daddy system for connecting the lights. It took me about 4 hours start to finish. The instructions and videos from Blue Ox make it pretty easy. I was able to get our 2012 Grand Cherokee done by myself. Also did a 2011 Jeep Wrangler which was even easier.

Hey Bill long time. Have you tried "Joes Hitch" in Dallas? They did a complete job on a friend of mine this year. To me it was a bit high, however he had the works, Tow Bar, Base Plates, wiring and Brake Buddy.

We just got a Saturn Vue and I will set it up myself. I just haven't decided if I will mount the base plates or have it done. I have the Brake Unit and will put it on in the next week or so. Wiring isn't a problem.

We have a Rally Dec. 5-6-7 in Burleson at the North Texas Jellystone Park (aka RV Ranch). If you would like to join us let me know.

Herman

Installing the Base Plate is not a hard job, I have always used Roadmaster and they have the instructions on their web site that you can download and see if you want to atempt the job. I only need help removing and installing the front grill and bumper cover and I always have something to set the bumper and grill on so it wont get scratched, I also always use threadloc and torque to specs. I recently did a 2010 Chev Equinox then we went to a 2011 Ford Edge and then to a 2013 F150 CC.