Sign in to follow this  
modemem

Jeep Liberty Brake Light Bulbs Blowing Out

Just putting this out as an FYI.

Our toad is an 05 Jeep Liberty and it has an intermittent but frequent problem of the passenger side brake light bulb burning out. After much electrical troubleshooting to no avail, while replacing the bulb for the umpteenth time today I discovered the cause. Inside the brake/turn/tail light assembly each bulb sits in its own little chamber and in the chamber there are reflector/refractor lenses that clip into place between the bulbs and the light assembly. The refector/refractor lens for the brake light has come loose and can be bumped into a position allowing it to make contact with the bulb which causes the bulb to overheat and crack. I had suspected rain was entering the light assembly and causing the bulbs to crack but today I noticed a small melt point on the loose lens. I have now glued the lens in place with Gorilla glue and should not have a repeat of this problem.

Just thought others may have a similar issue...I hope this helps others.

Bill!

Thanks for passing the problem and solution on.

The little things can drive one nuts, often very intermittent or in your case something moving around on its own for the lack of some glue.

Rich.

Thanks for the information. I had to replace the bulb on my Liberty not long ago. I will take a look to see if I have the same problem.

This is a known problem and the solution is get updated taillight assembly. I replaced mine when 2006 Jeep Liberty was only two years old.

This is a known problem and the solution is get updated taillight assembly. I replaced mine when 2006 Jeep Liberty was only two years old.

You are correct HP a new assembly would surely fix the problem. I check on the cost and got quotes from $38 - $189 so I thought I would try to glue the lense first at a cost of $0 as I already have the glue. :rolleyes: