Sign in to follow this  
raybohrer@comcast.net

Upgrading To Flatscreen

We have an 2002 32'Allegro Bus last one made that size. Now with the big dog house overhead and the little ac/dc in back when we get a new front TV, after removal of the big Panasonic and install the flatscreen do I still need the digital converter for the little one or how do I wire in the punch box next to the big TV.

You more savvy type can see that I don't know much about RV TV's any and all info will be welcomed..

Retired Ray

IM about to upgrade our front TV in the overhead from the old tube Panasonic to a LED Flatscreen. I am hoping to be able to watch TV off our batteries when not plugged in and without the generator which we needed for the old one to work.

The new TV draws 65W.

My question is any tips on where to draw power from?

All of our recepticles only work on 110 when plugged in or the genny.
The front 3 x 12V cig lighters only come off the chassis battery it seems?

Its a 2003 Bounder 32W, on a workhorse GM 8.1 L chassis.

Any help sure is appreciated!

Jim

What size inverter do you plan to install? You are going to need to be able to power the TV plus any accessories like a satellite receiver or a DVD player. You will likely still be under 100W so a 300-400 watt inverter should be fine. However, these are hard to find in the pure sine wave version (better) but a modified sine wave unit should be OK. I doubt the wiring to the cigaretter(s) is/are big enough to support your inverter so the best course will be to run new bigger wires directly from the battery to your inverter. If this would be a long run then you would want to install the inverter near the battery bank and run A/C wiring from the inverter to the TV location (less voltage/amp loss this way).

You will also need to consider how big your house battery bank is and whether this will provide enough power long enough as well as how you are going to recharge the drawn down batteries.