Sign in to follow this  
zse4xdr5

Michigan Operator License Requirement

Reading Family Motor Coaching magazine, Jan. 2014, I was surprised to read in the "Motorhome Regulations" section that Michigan requires a class A or B license type to operate a motorhome. Believing that this is an error, I combed the Michigan secretary of state website and found no such requirement. In fact, motorhome operators are specifically exempted, i.e., exempted from CDL licensing are "Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes." Sooooooo....I'm asking if anyone can help confirm this one way or the other?

If you are under 26,000 pounds check this out Under 26000 pounds

I don't know why it is worded that way. What happens if it is over? I don't know.

I believe that MI allows double towing and an "R" endoresment is needed.

zse4dr5,

Welcome to the forum.

In the CDL books there is the exemption for Motor homes, farm tractor and so on. However if you look in your states operators manual it may tell you that you would require a A or B Operators License to drive a coach in excess of 26,000 lbs. as Wayne stated. So check out your Operators hand book. In Texas the difference between A & B is that A allows you to tow over 10.000 lbs.

Good luck and again Welcome to the Forum and join a chapter if you haven't already done so!

Herman

I do not know about Michigan, but I do know in Florida a Class E license specifies "any commercial vehicle less than 26001 pounds or any RV". This was actually printed on the driver's license application. My wife and I just got our Florida driver's licenses on Monday, so the process is relatively fresh in my mind (I often say my mind is like a steel trap, although it is slightly rusty at times, LOL). The very kind young lady that assisted us in the process said that yes that is correct. The process does not specify a weight limit for RVs or MHs. This may be slightly different that the terminology on the Florida web site, but is the interpretation of the clerks in the various DMV/Tax Collector offices (yes the DMV offices are also the Tax Collector offices in Florida). Once we obtain our Florida insurance we can go to the same office to register both vehicles.

It appears Florida does not require a vehicle inspection, but does require a VIN number verification. We had a deputy sheriff come to our site and sign the appropriate form (provided by that same very friendly and helpful young lady). She also provided the appropriate form to have signed by my physician to allow the use of a Florida handicapped person plate.

Our new licenses are good until our birthday in 2022 ( a full 8 years).

Thanks guys.for the feedback. My GVWR is over 26,000 but after digging a bit I don't think it matters as motorhomes are exempt from the chauffeur requirements and from the CDL (commercial) requirements. Here's the links, the first from Wayne.

FAQ License Types

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-48296-235466--F,00.html

Michigan Vehicle Code (see (3)(g))

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-6

Who needs a CDL?

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_8669_53324-213067--,00.html

Thanks Again!