Sign in to follow this  
alexmadison

Text To 911-- Coming In 2014?

According to the FCC and the 4 major wireless carriers TXT to 911 is going to become a reality in 2014. Has anybody here used it yet or know of anyone how has?

The top four wireless carriers in the U.S. have agreed to speed up their efforts to support text-to-911 capabilities, making it available by May 15, 2014.Text-to-911 service is currently available on a limited basis in a few areas.

Ok, maybe I am not a high tech computer guy but how are many people going to benefit from this if adopted? I guess it would open another method for people to communicate with 911 if they are unable to make a call verbally. I know during major events there have been times when the cell towers are full and calls are not able to be made. Maybe this would help in those instances in getting valuable information to 911 more efficiently. It also seems that at time you are not able to call due to a bad cell signal a text seems to fly through more easily.

If I am off track please let me know. I am trying to keep up with the new technological advances but boy is it tough! lol

Thank you and have a great day!

The primary need for this service is the deaf community, who use texting as their main means of mobile communication. If you look at the numbers for that group alone, you'll see why it's so important.