Sign in to follow this  
dba4777

Transmission Problems

I have a 1995 Safari can not get the transmission to shift into gear either reverse or drive it has a push button shifting panel that also is not lighting up and the engine will not start with the key switch it must be cranked from the rear switch.

Any ideals where to start trouble shooting these problems?

dba4777,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

We need to be sure what chassis/transmission you have, as Safari used several during that time period.

If this is a Diesel Pusher with the Allison 6 speed transmission (MD3060), your symptoms sound like either the IGNITION SWITCH or IGNITION SOLENOID is not functioning.

So, first question-- what is chassis battery voltage?

Do any "only work with the ignition on" items work-- dash HVAC fan, for example?

Until the Allison shift pad illuminates, it will not start. There are two fuses to the Allison-- one for memory, one that turns on with the ignition on. Check both.

Call Monaco on Monday and ask to speak with someone familiar with your vintage Safari.

Have you located your Allison ECM? You could also check for power there. Suspect pin schematics for it can be found on-line.

I am not a mechanic. I had the same problem. On my 1999 Safari Zanzibar with an Allison 3060 there is a sealed box with one fuse and 7 relays mounted next to the steering column inside cockpit. It had about six screws securing the weatherproof box. Inside I found a 10 Amp. fuse that cost me $1500 to replace, I'm sure yours will only cost 39 cents. Good luck.

Ron Schroeder

F426276