Sign in to follow this  
frankincrapera

Holiday Rambler Low Beams

Low beams quit working. High beams fine.

When pull lever at steering column high beams go off and no lights, pull again high beams back on.

Checked fuses. Also noticed fog lights not working.

Anyone have a solution?

2005 HR Navigator.

Frank, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

The power for the low beams and fog lights are connected to the same relay for 12 volt power in most cases.

Think you may have a relay loose in one of the panels. The power should be supplied to all the headlights and the fog lights through the same fuse that is an auto setting type fuse, so one can not rule out a short in the wiring going to the Low beam headlight circuit. That kind of short would also kill the fog lights when they are active.

HR Coach Owners Manuals generally have a section that covers the fuse and relay panels well!

I will look and see if I have any wiring information on file for your coach.

Rich.

Rich,

Thanks so much.

Just left the coach where a repairman met me.

He found it... a fried circuit board where a plug

connected.

Used his handy switches and testers and located the problem.

Appreciate your help.

frank

Good News Frank!

I was looking over some drawings and was going to ask if the ICC Switch, would allow you to flash your marker lights. It looks like the power for that circuit is supplied by the same fuse the powers the Low Beam lights.

Rich.

Note ! A damaged circuit board at connection could mean it was not tight, corroded or overloaded. Overload due to different / Higher rated lamps being installed ?

Rich,

I believe you nailed it. Previous owner replaced fog lites which go through same board with halogen high intensity bulbs. This appears

to be cause.

I wonder if LED lights with lower amp requirement can work giving brighter light with less draw.

Frank

The LED lamps should theoretically solve the problem. Many LED bulbs will allow much lower wattage to provide the same lumens. (Wattage (Power) is a function of voltage, current and resistance in a circuit. The simplest equation is P=I*V where I is current and V is voltage. P is also equal to I squared *R where R is resistance. As resistance increases the current squares to calculate power.)

I suspect your problem may have been caused by resistance increasing due to a poor connection that ultimately fried the circuit board. You may want to check connections to ensure everything is tight as much as possible.

An easy solution where a high amp light is substituted for a low amp one is to wire the new ones through a RELAY, with the old power wire merely closing the relay.

A $12 solution for relay and inline fuse (on new larger positive wire).