pamnkenrv

Equalizer Leveling System -- Will Not Work On Auto

We have a 45' Travel Supreme (2003) and the Equalizer leveling system will not work on auto -- if you try it, the levelers go down part-way, the alarm sounds and they retract. I can level manually, but would like to get this fixed.

So far, a call to Equalizer from an RV repair place had them in complete disagreement about the problem, with the result that it still isn't fixed, and I have no idea how to determine the problem!

Any ideas???

Highlander4744,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

When the jacks come down, are they coming down evenly? or is there a stagger of some kind?

When the coach is on a level surface, can the Null point be celebrated according to the procedure?

Are all the connections to the control module clean and tight?

Did the problem happen all of a sudden or did it work erratically for a period of time?

Rich.

Hi Rich

The jacks come down evenly....no stagger.

Tried several times to re-set the null, but to no avail.

Connections seem tight....thought it might be a low power issue but have confirmed it isn't that.

Jacks seemed to work fine....but erratic since putting in 8 new AGM house batteries (we are an all electric coach)....then a short time later

auto stopped working altogether. I think the battery issue is a coincidence. Cannot see any relation there. Stumped for the moment.

thanks

Ken

Ken, from your response there is a good chance you have a defective logic circuit in the controller, not the keypad, pump, hydraulic plumping or jack cylinder issues.

The key to my thinking is, the problem started after the batteries where replaced and one ark connecting the batteries could have taken out an electrostatic sensitive chip.

That would also kind of answer the issue of not being able to reset the null. The Null reference and the auto leveling are tied directly together.

In the manual mode, one is circumventing the auto control circuit.

Thinking that if the controller was working, but was positioned incorrectly the system would still try to auto-level. Even if it coach was out of level.

Have they offered to try replacing the controller ?

This information might come in handy. It is a more detailed file on the operation of the system.

http://equalizersystems.com/files/shared/service-documents/Air-Hydraulic_Auto-Level_Operation_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

What is the difference reasoning between the service shop and the supplier that system is still not functioning, if I can ask?

Rich.

Rich is probably correct. The proper way to uninstall multiple batteries, is if there is a battery disconnect, then use it first, then disconnect the ground from the group, then disconnect the positive from the group, then dissemble the group. When installing, exactly opposite is correct procedure making sure that the battery voltage is correct for the group before connecting the positive first, then the ground, then the disconnect last.

This will eliminate any unnecessary arc, and help prolong the life of all electronics.

Thanks guys.

I will focus on the controller. We have annual service scheduled in San Diego early next month. I will add to the list to have them take a look.

The Tech at Equalizer was convinced we had a low voltage issue.....I could not confirm that and neither could the shop in Channelview TX when I had them take a look at it.

That shop indicated we needed a larger capacity motor.....which I discounted right away. After looking at the PDF you sent, best bets are a leg sensor or the controller. And probably the latter since the legs are coming down in sync.

Appreciate your help.

When the problem is fixed I will come back and post exactly what the fix was.

Thanks again.

Ken, does you system work using this sequence? This is part of the sequence that needs the null point information and the contact sensors on each leg.

Think the order of lowering each jack is programed into the logic circuits.

When the Auto level button is pressed, the system first dumps the chassis air bags, then extends the jack legs one at a time, beginning with the front left jack and moving clockwise to the right front, right rear and left rear jacks. The system will extend each jack just until the jack makes contact with the ground. This is called planting the jacks (The chassis air bags are dumped to lower the coach entry step as close to the ground as possible.).

Once all jacks are planted, the control panel’s patented software will “read” the tilt being sent to it by the level sensor. It will then compare this to the Null setting previously determined during the setting process. The software will then calculate which corner of the coach needs to be raised (or lowered) to bring the coach into level condition, and send the appropriate signals to the hydraulic pump.

Rich.