Sign in to follow this  
rsbilledwards

Potential Fire Risk, 2001 Safari Zanzibar Exhaust

As I have been crawling around underneath my 2001 Safari Zanzibar with the CAT 330, the Onan generator located on the left rear and rearward of the electrical cabinet I noticed the floor/ceiling above the exhaust was scorched!!! Specifically The exhaust goes forward from the turbo charger toward the electrical cabinet and then makes a right hand bend goes a few inches 6 or 8 and then bends down a foot or so into the muffler. This area has zero air flow and no way to create any. A substantial amount of heat has caused the covering to melt and the floor ply sandwich to scorch badly.

SOLUTION: wrap the exhaust from the turbo to the bend prior to the muffler with graphite exhaust wrap. Thank you NASCAR. This wrap is available at your friendly NAPA and Summit Racing (cheaper) stores. It took 50 feet and required I allow the exhaust to drop a bit from the retaining cradle in order to get my arms up in there to wrap it. It was not heavy nor difficult to reinstall muffler in original location. The idea of this wrap is that the heat is retained within the exhaust piping and sent out the tail pipe.

Suggestion: find a teenager with Long Skinny arms to help. There was one spot that was tough the rest was difficult until I dropped the muffler a couple inches. I cut the wrap at 25 feet and worked with two pieces. No more fire potential in this location.

Good luck

Bill