Sign in to follow this  
jaminman

Fuel Filter Change

Hi every one.

Am new to having a diesel MH and wanted some info on changing my fuel filters myself. Last time I paid someone to do it, out of fear I guess!

I have a 2005 Neptune with an ISB 300 5.9l.

Am setting up a maintenance program to do myself and this is on the list.

Do I pre-fill? put on empty. My manual does not say, only gives instructions if you run out of fuel. Thanks, and any other tips would be appreciated.

jaminman,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I'll get this started.

First step is do determine from your chassis maker (Monaco in your case) the proper filter(s). Some have two filters-- a 10-30 micron PRIMARY and 2-5 micron SECONDARY.

Others have only a single filter-- it will be 2-5 microns. This is an important step, as the filters look the same (except for part number) whether 2 or 30 micron.

So, ask for the filters by part number, not "I need a fuel filter for my..." That way you are getting the proper micron filter(s).

They can also tell you the proper changing procedure.

I like to add a ball valve on the inlet side of the primary fuel filter (or only filter if a single filter system). Close it before changing the filter(s). If no valve and level of fuel in the tank is above the filter base, diesel will run out. If lower, you can end up with a real priming issue, as the fuel siphons all the way from the filter base back to the tank. This leaves you with 25+ feet of AIR in the fuel line.

I know it is off-topic, but with your 4 bag Monaco/Roadmaster chassis, be sure you are aware of this safety issue: http://community.fmca.com/topic/570-serious-problem-on-some-monaco-holiday-rambler-safari-chassis/

Brett gave you good info but if you pre-fill and that is what I do be sure to plug the center hole, I use a nipple. It is generally not necessary to pre-fill the secondary filter as you can cycle the key on and off and let the lift pump fill the filter but again I always pre-fill both filters. You have to be careful when X filter # as the as the micron # does not follow the X ref # , what I mean is if you X a Wix 5 micron to a Donaldson # it will not necessarily be a 5 micron filter.

Here is a link to Wix

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Here is a link to Donaldson

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebStore/search/cross_reference.html

Now I use a Wix 33965 on my secondary (because Monaco installed it backwards ) go to Wix enter that # and click on the 33965 scroll down and you will see the micron # then do the same with Donaldson and you will see the Wix will be 2 micron and the Donaldson will be 10 micron.

jaminman,

Welcome to the FMCA forum!

Some of the Freightliner liner chassis with the ISB02 series engines have 3 fuel filters. The one most people and many service centers miss is the inline filter, located in the fuel line behind the rear axle(Drivers Side)inside the frame rail. It is black in color, about 2in.X 5in. in size.

The only real way to know for sure is to call Freightliner service @ 1-800-385-4357 with the last 6 numbers your chassis VIN. number.

Rich.