Sign in to follow this  
chp007kd40

Inverter/Charger Failed

DIY person here would like to replace a failed Dimension 2000 watt inverter/charger (original equip. on Itasca 40Kd, pusher) with a pure sine wave with auto start for 7.5 gen., which I do not have now. Four 6 volt and two 12 volt batteries with 2 panel solar. We travel mostly without rv park hookups

1. Are most of you happy with your auto starts?

2. Which mfg. is doing a good job and what model would you recommend?

3. Is this a project that can easily get a diy person in trouble quickly?

Appreciate your comments

Well, I will take a shot at #3 of your project!

The fact that your coach is presently equipped with a 2K inverter / charger, it should not be too bad of a job; as long as they are similar is size. One item to address is the possibility of acoustic coupling, of the 60 cycle hum they can produce.

You mentioned installing only one, so I'm thinking your coach is set up for a 30 amp shore service. 30 amp. one 120 volt hot, one neutral and one ground.

50 amp shore service would have 4 wire connection, 2-120 hots, with a neutral and ground.

The Auto Start systems vary some regarding how the monitoring system work and the Start / Run programing We are still not equipped with one.

Rich.

An inverter that has auto start for the generator? Never heard of that.

Xantrex has had gen auto start for at least 20 years. There are other mfg that have them too.

Thanks all of you for the updates and very good advice, as always. The coach came with 50amp shore setup and the electrical bay has a hard wire surge plus a reel for the cord, but appears to have enough room for a larger unit.

I briefly looked at one older request for information where the generator was always running when not needed, so I'm thinking I will leave well enough alone in that area since I don't need any more issues. I'm not intending to go to a residential frig. anytime soon Rich because we are off grid so much and that appears to be real need for auto start.

Rich, I was a little confused about your comment about only installing "one". Am I missing something here? I was figuring on one compact unit showing up at my doorstep. David

David, many of the 50 amp Coach's have electric stoves and a greater need for 220volts.

To achieve 220 volts would require a second Inverter.

Not knowing how your coach was set up, though I would mention the possibility of the need.

You listed the number of 6 and 12 volt batteries and that would lead one to believe you only had one unit.

The advent of the AGM Series battery has increased to AH rating and life of the battery's

Hope that clears up the confusion !

The right Charger / Inverter would allow you to add the auto start feature down the road, should the option become desirable.

Rich.

Just adding a little confusion to the subject.....A fellow camper has had to replace his 2000 watt inverted twice. He has a 2004 Holiday Rambler. Recently when he had it replaced, the tech told him the probable cause of the failures may be attributed to the cord reel. Evidently the tech had noticed that coaches equipped with cord reels had more inverters replaced. What this would have to do with inverter failures is beyond my knowledge. This is a FWIW.

Rich, thank you. Didn't know that about 220 volts and two inverters. Our coach is set up with propane for frig., range, water heater and furnace along with heat pump so I'm going to go ahead and try the install a single new inverter myself. Nice to have you on board!

Interesting on the cord reel. Just checked mine out and everything is tight and secure, but I could see where problems could lurk.

David