Sign in to follow this  
tireman9

Print & News Items On Tires Of Questionable Value

Over the past few years I have noticed that more than once, RV editorials, articles and even TV news items on tires seem to be a bit short on providing sound advice or information of educational value when it comes to tires. Sometimes attention grabing headlines are the primary objective.

Two recent examples:

Editorial that mentioned someone running on significantly underinflated dual tire. The owner apparently did not have a TPMS so drove 1,000 miles with low pressure. When the loss of air was discovered the tires was simply, and incorrectly, just aired up. Not surprisingly the RV owner suffered a tire failure shortely therafter. My complaint is that the author of the article who is supose to be a bit of an RV "expert" failed to mention that a TPMS would have alerted the owner of the air loss and possibly saved the tire. He also failed to mention the danger of simply re-inflating a tire that had been driven while underinflated. This is not the first time this Editor has failed to educate his readers on the topic of tire safety.

TV "News" item. This was on tire age limits. While there were many so called "facts" presented that may have been the "truth" they were defiantely not the "Whole Truth". I found this article that points out some of the holes in the story. Please note the partial list of "counter points" listed.

A second TV "report" was sent to me for comment. I found the item so lacking in sound logic that I contacted the reporter and offered a number of suggested actions she could take to educate herself enough to allow a follow-up "Investigative Report" but so far she had nt responded. I am thniking that in this case sensational "Film at 11" reporting is the goal and providing real safety related information is not on her radar.

The point of this post is simply to remind others that many times items on a technical topic such as tires are not well researched, even when the author is supposedly knowledgeable on general RV topics, the focus of the article or news report is not providing information of sound educational value but may be simply aimed at promoting some new advertised product or just offering attention grabbing headlines like grocery store tabloids do.