rgrimm

Allison Service in Jacksonville, FL

Has anyone had their Allison Trans Fluid/Filters change in the Jacksonville, FL area?

If so, who did the work?
Were you pleased with the service?
Would you share the Oil/Filter change costs?

I have a 2006 Journey 34h, with a CAT 350 and an Allison 3000 series trans (45,000 miles) I purchased used back in March (14) and have no service history on past transmission maintenance and I would feel better to have it changes so I have a maintenance bench mark going forward. The CAT and Generator oil/filters were change when I purchased the coach at 42,800 miles. I'm just not sure who to use in the Jacksonville area that is RV friendly, competent and reasonable (cost).

According to Allison's site theses are their Authorized Centers in the area:

Progressive Power Products, Inc.
4062 North Liberty Street, Jacksonville, FL

Reliable Transmission Service, Inc.
5731 Commonwealth Ave, Jacksonville, FL

North Florida Western Star, Inc. (I think this is Florida Detroit Diesel)
5037 University Blvd, Jacksonville, FL

It would be nice to hear from someone who was had work done at one of these facilities or who may have another facility recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Russ

Since the post above was my first post on the FMCA board perhaps a little background.

Needless to say I am located in the Jacksonville, FL area, actually North of Jacksonville along the GA border. Our 2006 Winnebago Journey is our first MH, owning a 39' TT and a 36' 5th Wheel in the past. So we are new to the MH world. As I said above, since we purchased our Journey used (third owners) I am attempting to establish a drivetrain maintenance history.. The CAT 350 and Onan 7.5kw Generator had their Fluids/Filters change when I purchased the coach, but I have no history on the transmission maintenance. So for my comfort level I decided to just have the Allison Fluids and Filters changed so I know where it is at with maintenance. Being a new Allison owner, I would feel better selecting a facility in my area that another owner may have experience with.

Again, thank you.

Russ and Arlene
Yulee, FL

Russ,

Welcome to the Forum. My suggestion would be to look up your transmission on line and get a owners manual. There it will tell you the maintenance schedule. It is good that you are starting a recorded schedule on your coach. Might I ask if there were any maintenance records from the previous owners?

Sorry I can not help on a service location. I am sure one or all of those listed will do you a good job.

Welcome to the DP world.

Herman

Herman,

The coach started it's life in Arizona (first owner), then sold to owners in Alabama, and then to me. I purchase it thru a dealer and there were no service record that came with the coach. I had it up to Freightliner in Gaffney for a 4 wheel alignment and they said it was never serviced there before based on the coach's serial number.

The Allison is the one major drivetrain component I just am not sure about. In 2006 the Winnebago Freightliner DP Allisons went to 100% Synthetic Transynd oil. I have the maintenance requirements, but with no real service history I have no idea if the oil or filters were ever changed. I don't like just spending money, but the Allison is a major drivetrain component and important (to me) to have a maintenance history as a point of reference for scheduled maintenance services going forward. My feelings are if I take care of the Journey hopefully it will take care of me on trips. In days past I would have done this type of maintenance myself, but with age comes limitations I guess.

-Russ

Russ,

Indeed, if you don't know the history, change all fluids and start your new Maintenance Log. And Transynd is what you should use. For your Allison 3000 series, buy the 5 gallon pail-- that is the least expensive. You should have about a quart left over. You will also need the Allison filter kit.

An update.

After some research on my Local Allison Service Centers I decided to go to Reliable Transmission Service, Inc., 5731 Commonwealth Ave, Jacksonville, FL.

My appointment was this morning (August 27th) and I was very pleased with the service, staff, and location (for me) and the price. On the phone when I made the appointment I was quoted (approx.) $450 for Fluid, Filters, labor and taxes. When the time came to pay the bill was $386. I was pleased with that cost. I arrived around 8:30 am, they got me in quickly and I was driving the 26 mile trip home by 9:45 am.

I talked to the tech who did the work and he said the Transynd and filters he removed looked good and that the underside of the coach in engine/trans area was pretty clean for a 2006 coach. He said it appeared that this coach was ‘taken care’ of.

So at this point I now have a Service History on the CAT 350, Allison 3000, and the 7.5 kw Onan.

Now I need to start planning my trips for the rest of this year and a New England trip for next year.

Thank you everyone for your input.

-Russ