roadmap

Washington, D.C. Area Campgrounds

I thought I recently read in a previous month's magazine, someone's opinion of different chices of campgrouds near DC.
I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has camped in this area.

Thanks In Advance

Guest Wayne77590

I have heard that Cherry Hill Park is a good jumping off point. A little expensive, but I guess you have to figure you are on the East Coast and things are more expensive that-a-way.

Take a look inside RV Park Reviews for reviews. You will not see a CG area for Wash. DC, but look in Maryland for Cherry Hill, and also check some of the sourrounding states.

roadmap, what are you looking for? I live in NOVA and can give you some recommendations depending on what you want? Cherry Hill is the cloest to visit DC if that is the agenda. i have never stayed there, but it seems to get good reviews. Maryland and VA have some nice parks as well as the Northern VA regional parks that may work. my coach is 36ft so i get into places that most could or would not good.

Thanks for the reply MGJ.

What I am looking for, is a closeby park to be able to get into DC daily for touring etc.

It seems that Cherry Hill is the best . Thanks for the reply.

Ken

Guest Wayne77590

ken,

Try this.

In your browser, open www.maps.live.com (Now merged with Bing.com). In the "Bing" search box type in "Washington, DC" without the quotes. When Washing DC is viewable go back to that same box and type in RV Park. Also try campground, rv resort, or any other key word you want to use (Mexican restaurant). It's not an all inclusive listing, but it give a good selection to choose from. Unfortunately web developers are not putting Meta tags in their web pages that will pop up unrelated items. Example could be a marina that has a web page and provides Sani-products for toilets. They could have a meta tag for campground that will pop up their site.

Once I see a potential camground I will refine my search in the Google search bar looking specifically for that campground, or, sometimes, the little pop-up on Bing will have a web site.

Happy hunting.

Edited: p.s., if you drag the map, the markers will change to the most current view, so you can look at different areas of DC, like East West, North, South, and the map will bring up your keyword markers.

Just came back from that area....stayed in Cherry Hill Park and it was one of the best we have seen!! Tour buses pick you up from there. Have a great time!!

Cherry Hill is the best. They have buses that come into the park to take you to the metro station as well as tour busses. The lady who sells the tours also will teach you how to get around on the metro system, what exits for what monument or building you want to go to. I was able to go all the way to Arling ton on the metro line.

I have stayed there twice and will stay there again. The last time was in May.

Bill

We always stay at Greenbelt National Campground. It primitive but inexpensive. About a mile from the subway station and you can take you bikes during off hours. We find it mandatory to have bikes because the D.C. area is so large. The last time we were there they had a ranger led bike tour, no charge.

Cherry Hill was a great place to stay. We where there in June (one of our stops on our cross country trip) and really like the place. It was easy taking the bus to the metro station and going anywhere in DC that the metro line takes you. you can also buy passes for the tour bus lines in DC that allow you to hop on and off at any of there stops. Made it easy to get to the various sites.