Sign in to follow this  
mherrhaus

Tow Bar & Brake: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. I will be towing it behind my RV starting next summer. I am having base plate installed to receive a tow bar at a later time when I make my selection. It is designed to fit the Cherokee 2015 thru the dealership. SIDE NOTE: It has been about 7 years since I was a full time RVer and was use to towing either a Jeep, Dakota Dodge Truck, or a Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Now the questions? I need some recommendations on a tow bar with lights connection and hopefully an auxiliary braking system as now required in the majority of states. MY RV is a 2002 Fleetwood discovery 38 ft - I have towed with a road master prior to this but think I need to upgrade and get new system. I need the help of experienced RVer to recommend and explain the unto date tow bar systems.

I am a single female who travels by myself so I am always looking to make hookups, etc. as easy as possible. . . . . but I will not give up quality for easy!

Congratulations on your choice of vehicles. I just purchased the 2015 Summit. My recommendation would be the Blue Ox tow plate and 10,000 lb tow bar. Since the Summit has adaptive Cruise control, you will need to make sure the dealer installs the correct base plate designed to work with the adaptive cruise sensors. The "diode" kit for your LED rear lights would also be recommended. You will also need a braking system. I use the AirForce I system.

Here is information on the various companies suggested: http://blueox.com; http://www.smibrake.com/air-force-one.html.

For installation of these products I would get recommendations from Blue Ox and SMI brake for the best installer in your area.

Not all installers are equal. I live in Florida and would highly recommend www.campingconnectionrv.com/. in Kissimmee (near Orlando).

Good luck and enjoy RV'ing.

Stevislick,

Can you give more details on your comment "you will need to make sure the dealer installs the correct base plate designed to work with the adaptive cruise sensors". According to the Blue Ox website and the etrailer website, Blue Ox cannot furnish a baseplate for a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Also, the Summit is available in a two wheel drive model which cannot be towed four down or on a dolly, it must be trailer towed.

I had time to look into this and while one of the 4X4 models is towable 4 down the manual that is available on line for this Jeep shows one 4X4 model that is not. You tube videos say look for the led push button(ball point pen type)near the 4X4 selector labeled "N" for the one that is. Also I found references to curb weight for the 4X4's that vary from 4950 to over 5200 lbs which would tax a 5000 lb hitch. Adding a base plate, tow bar, and personal items to the Jeep would........

I am interested in this discussion because I recently chose a Liberty over the Grand Cherokee in over to say within reasonable weights.

We have the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4 x 4. Blue Ox makes 2 different base plates for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. One is designed specifically to accommodate the Adaptive Cruise Control.

You will need that baseplate because the Summit has the Adaptive Cruise. The baseplates are the same for the 2014 and 2015 (called Blue Ox to confirm). Part Number: BX2411.The Camping Connection in Kissimmee Florida did the install for us. If you have questions give them a call (407-397-2267).

One final note, there are four (4) 2015 4 x 4 Summits in my RV community. All have the BX2411 plates and all were installed 4 different dealers.

Here are the towing instructions for the Summit (2015):

Towing Procedure 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, with the engine running.

2. Press and hold the brake pedal.

3. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

4. If vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift™ air suspension, ensure the vehicle is set to Normal Ride Height.

5. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, press and hold he recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for four seconds. The light behind the N symbol will blink, indicating shift in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete.A“FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM IN NEUTRAL” message will appear in the Driver Information Display (DID). Refer to “Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

6. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.

7. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.

8. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.

9. Shift the transmission back into NEUTRAL.

10. With the transmission and transfer case in NEUTRAL, press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button until the engine turns off. Turning the engine off will automatically place the transmission in PARK.

11. Press the ENGINE STOP/START button again (without pressing the brake pedal), if needed, to turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

12. Firmly apply the parking brake.

13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.

14. Release the parking brake.

NOTE:

· Steps 1 through 4 are requirements that must be met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button, and must continue to be met until the shift has been completed. If any of these requirements are not met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button or are no longer met during the shift, then the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light will flash continuously until all requirements are met or until the NEUTRAL (N) button is released.

· The ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position for a shift to take place and for the position indicator lights to be operable. If the ignition switch is not in the ON/RUN position, the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.

· A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light indicates that shift requirements have not been met.

· If the vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift™ air suspension, the engine should be started and left running for a minimum of 60 seconds (with all the doors closed) at least once every 24 hours. This process allows the air suspension to adjust the vehicle’s ride height to compensate for temperature effect.

Shifting Out Of NEUTRAL (N)

Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for normal usage.

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, leaving it connected to the tow vehicle.

2. Firmly apply the parking brake.

3. Start the engine.

4. Press and hold the brake pedal.

5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

6. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, press and hold the recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for one second.

NEUTRAL (N) Switch

7. When the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light turns off, release the NEUTRAL (N) button. After the NEUTRAL (N) button has been released, the transfer case will shift to the position indicated by the selector switch.

8. Shift the transmission into PARK. Turn the engine OFF.

9. Release the brake pedal.

10. Disconnect vehicle from the tow vehicle.

11. Start the engine.

12. Press and hold the brake pedal.

13. Release the parking brake.

14. Shift the transmission into DRIVE, release the brake pedal, and check that the vehicle operates normally.

NOTE:

• Steps 1 through 5 are requirements that must be met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button, and must continue to be met until the shift has been completed. If any of these requirements are not met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button or are no longer met during the shift, the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light will flash continuously until all requirements are met or

until the NEUTRAL (N) button is released.

• The ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position for a shift to take place and for the position indicator lights to be operable. If the ignition switch is not in the ON/RUN position, the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.

• A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light

indicates that shift requirements have not been met.