Jon796

Motorhome cover

Hi, I'm looking for a little advice on whether I should cover or not cover my motorhome for the winter. Does it really help? Cause mold? Any advice would be great before I spend the money on one.

Here is an article on FMCA.com that has useful tips on how to extend the life of your motorhome and covering it when not in use is one of them.

http://www.fmca.com/index.php/polks-top-7/2690

Mark's article doesn't really detail what he means by "cover." He could be referring to storing under cover or a cover fitted over the RV.

Here is what he says, "Keep it covered: Over time the roof and exterior of your motorhome begin to show signs of wear, caused by constant exposure to the elements. Ozone in the air and ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun start to take their toll, which is first evident by signs of fading paint. The ozone in the air also causes products like rubber and vinyl to dry out, crack and start to deteriorate. The UV rays from the sun make this aging process happen quicker. If possible, try to keep your RV covered when not using it, to help protect it from Mother Nature."

I am also cautious about recommending RV covers, as the can do a lot of damage from chafe, particularly if stored in a windy area. The money spend on a cover and even factoring in minimum wage for your time in putting on the cover and taking it off each time you use it would go a long ways toward paying for a covered area under which to store the coach.

I think all of us agree that storing it UNDER COVER is by far the best. Even if you spend extra money building a covered parking area or pay extra for covered storage, most of that investment will be returned by have a better looking coach AND one that has higher resale than one left out in the elements.

Brett Wolfe

We visited Coastline Cover Company several years ago and they showed us a "building" like the canvas carports you see in some places. It was a size that would house a motor home. It wouldn't be a building in the standard sense but would keep the rain and sun off the motor home. It would not be in contact with the motor home so the problem of chafing and/or mold would not occur.

Coastline Cover Company is located near Los Angeles, CA and has a wide variety of cover products for motor homes, boats and more. We had a custom bra made for our motor home and a custom tow car cover made before our trip to Alaska in 2006. They did the work very nicely and their rates were very reasonable for custom work.

Hi, I'm looking for a little advice on whether I should cover or not cover my motorhome for the winter. Does it really help? Cause mold? Any advice would be great before I spend the money on one.

There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a car with a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com/