Sign in to follow this  
FMCANationalOffice

Towing 2015 Jeep Renegade, Toyota Scion

After publication of Family Motor Coaching magazine’s “Towables for 2015” towing guide (January 2015, page 44), we learned that two manufacturers had provided us with incorrect information regarding towability of certain vehicles.

The 2015 Jeep Renegade should not have been included in the guide, as it is not towable four wheels down behind a motorhome.

Two 2015 Toyota Scion models equipped with a manual transmission should have been included in the guide. The vehicles are the front-wheel-drive tC (curb weight 3,058 pounds; length 176.6 inches) and the front-wheel-drive xB (curb weight 3,020 pounds; length 168.1 inches). There are no distance limitations when towing these vehicles. Refer to the vehicles’ owners manuals for more information about towing the vehicles with all four wheels on the ground.

Hello, I'm new here but wanted to thank you for the post. We are soooo disappointed the new Renegade jeep is not a 4 wheel down towable car. We've been waiting for this car for 6 months. Really dumb of Jeep if you ask me. So many people would love this light weight off road jeep to ttow! What a disappointment, it was perfect for a toad.

How can that be with the 4 wheel drive stick shift!,?

Many of the new 2015 Jeeps do NOT have the shiftable transfer case. This is the determining factor in 4 down towability. Even the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler can be had in models that can not be flat towed. I agree, a poor choice on Jeeps part. Many of us specifically look for these vehicles for their towability and off road capabilities.

We just went through the purchase of a new Toad.

Our Three choices came down to the Jeep Unlimited, Jeep Cherokee, GMC Terrain.

After weeks of research, we decided the Terrain was the best choice for us.

The kid in me almost went with the Unlimited. Our 4-wheeling days are not what they use to be. The Terrain will take us where we need to go.

The only reason I ruled out the Jeep Cherokee is that the 9 speed transmission still appears to have problems that I did not want to potentially have to deal with.

Is Jeep, Fiat afterall?

After 350 miles with the Terrain, think we made the right choice for us.

Now to set it up for towing.

We previously had a 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4. If they still made the Liberty, that most likely would have been our new Toad. Oh well, Lib no more. With a Liberty, I could have gone where I don't need to go, but might want to.

I didn't know they no longer make the Liberty. Well our list is whittling down! We stopped and looked at the Suburu Crosstrek, which is supposed to be towable 4 down, and the dealer said no! I hope he was wrong, I think the 2014 is.

I didn't know they no longer make the Liberty. Well our list is whittling down! We stopped and looked at the Suburu Crosstrek, which is supposed to be towable 4 down, and the dealer said no! I hope he was wrong, I think the 2014 is.

2012 was the last year the Liberty was made. It was a nice vehicle for towing, trail rated off road. Not great on gas mileage. Overall, if it was available it would probably have been my choice again.

The only problem with our '12 Liberty is the gas mileage. We enjoy everything else about it. It's surprising they could never get the gas mileage that some other Jeeps now enjoy.

We looked at the Subaru Crosstrek, the Ford Fiesta and the Jeep Patriot today. Now considering waiting for the 2016s, who knows what might pop up? A lot of small suv's getting more rugged with larger wheels. Even the Fiat has a new urban style one. Some crosstrek ideas also.