Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Battery Cable Fuzz

2005 Newmar, with 2 chassis and 4 coach batteries. Batteries are in good condition, everything works well, charges as it should and no problems.

However, after about 5-6 months I start getting that nasty looking gray fuzz on the cables. I clean it off with baking soda, clean the connections of cables and battery post, and reassemble using various methods that were supposed to work to prevent the fuzz.

Felt washers under the cables, grease, plastic spray that is supposedly made to prevent the fuzz, and lastly, no coating or felt washers. The junk still comes back no matter which of the described methods I have tried.

New vehicles seem to last for many, many years before getting this issue. So, what am I doing wrong, or what am I not doing???????

It really irks me to see this stuff on our otherwise pristine coach.

Gayle,

Corrosion on battery terminals can be caused by several things. Over charge is one while older batteries near then end of their life is another. The corrosion come from the batteries out gassing hydrochloric Sulfuric acid fumes. Be sure the batteries are full, terminals are clean, all the things you have done. The gray corrosion on the cables, once started, are hard to stop short of changing the cables.

I know you don't like seeing the gray gunk but you are doing every thing needed to keep your batteries working and charging.

One other thing you might have checked is how high the voltage is coming from you charger. Too much can also cause out gassing.

Good luck,

Herman

Make sure the cables and terminals are clean, pure copper, no steel ends. Clean and coat with something to prevent oxygen from getting to the connections. Check to see if the water level is too high, the maximum voltage while charging, less than 14.5 volts.

Correction to my Post on Battery corrosion. When charging, batteries will emit SULFURIC Acid gasses not Hydrochloric. My goof :unsure: , however both will still eat holes in your jeans.

Herman

I have never had any luck with felt washers even on cars. I use NCP-2 a brush on battery corrosion preventative, it is a red color coating and you get no corrosion. I worked for Cummins CT. for 40 years this is what truck fleets and construction companies use. See http://www.nocousa.com/ . It can be messy when putting it on wear the nitrile gloves and a little goes a long way. Clean terminals good before using.

Well, after checking my voltage going to the batteries while charging, it appears everything is okay as the charger is putting 13.2 volts to the batteries.

Cmarq: Have never heard of the NCP-2, but sounds like something worth trying as all the other methods have not produced good results. Will get some and give it the 5-6 month trial like the other goodies I have used.

Thanks all for the input.