Sign in to follow this  
johnmig1

Satellite Antenna

I have a Winegard RT4000S satellite dish that automatically finds the satellite.

Until two months ago I operated it like this: Turn on the search switch, then when a good signal was received turn the switch off. The antenna would be pointed in the right direction, and we would proceed to watch.

Then one day things changed. Now when I turn off the switch (viewing a good signal on the signal meter) the antenna stops, but then also the signal disappears. Happens every time.

I have opened the dome and found nothing. Strong signal until terminated. Connections are good. Has anyone else experienced this?

Johnmig

Johnmig,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Logic circuits are used in most of these systems, so remove the primary power supply to the control system for a few minutes and see if it will rest, by reloading the control software; reboot and return to normal.

Exterior noise from any source can contaminate the operating system.

Some unknown RF source, noise from a oxidized connection, loose or contaminated ground(s) are on top of the list.

Rich.

Question: Did the problem occur after equipment was exposed to higher then nominal ambient temperature?

Johnmig,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Logic circuits are used in most of these systems, so remove the primary power supply to the control system for a few minutes and see if it will rest, by reloading the control software; reboot and return to normal.

Exterior noise from any source can contaminate the operating system.

Some unknown RF source, noise from a oxidized connection, loose or contaminated ground(s) are on top of the list.

Rich.

Question: Did the problem occur after equipment was exposed to higher then nominal ambient temperature?

We turn off all power (both batteries) when we put her away, so I assume we have rebooted. I will open and clean all connections with spray cleaner. Also I will next week open up and inspect that "search switch". No unusual temperature. Thanks for your reply.

johnmig1,

You are on the right path. Fuse?, Broken or loose connection. and or dirty connection. Also unless you have disconnected the cables from you batteries for some reason know only but to God there is still current flowing into your MH.

With my Dish receiver some time when we move I have to unplug the receiver for 10 or more seconds, That resets the unit and as Jackie Gleason would say "away we go".

Good Luck and I hope you are back to watching your soaps soon. :)

Herman

I have the RT8000S it would start to lock on the signal and then loose it. Winegard customer service is very helpful, give them a call. Mine turned out to be the tube that holds the LNB there are two screws that hold it in place, they were loose and the tube slid out. When searching for a signal the tube would hit a bracket not allowing full tilt. It was a easy fix push the tube in and tighten the screws.