Sign in to follow this  
rjrinfret@yahoo.com

The Disconnect Club - flat tow a Camaro?

I just read with great interest The Disconnect Club article on pages 62-65 of the October issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine. I have a classic 1968 Camaro convertible that I'm just finishing and I'd love to set it up to flat tow behind our American Eagle. We normally drag a Suburban, but there are a few times per year when I'd really like to bring the Camaro but not on a dolly or trailer due to the in-camp logistics.

How would I go about contacting Mr. Earnest and Mr. Shearer to see if they could fabricate a base plate for my Camaro?

Thanks,

RJ Rinfret

Gilroy,CA

Guest Wayne77590

RJ,

Have you contacted Remco Towing (remcotowing.com) to see if they may have some information on you model?

RJ,

Have you contacted Remco Towing (remcotowing.com) to see if they may have some information on you model?

Thanks, but no need for a Remco disconnect as this car has a 5 speed manual trans. I have a pretty good idea how to design my own baseplate set to connect to our Roadmaster Blackhawk All-Terrain tow bar but why reinvent the wheel if I don't have too. Hoping to learn more about the baseplates the members of the Disconnect Club have fabricated in case I can leverage their designs.

For those thinking I'm crazy to put a $50K classic muscle car behind our coach.... maybe I am a little crazy. We regularly attend events at Laguna Seca Raceway and Sear Point Raceway. Often I would have liked to have the Camaro on hand for parade laps, shows, and other events at the tracks but without the headache of trying to manage a tow dolly or trailer. If I was traveling longer distance I'd put the Camaro in a buddies 24' stacker trailer and be done with it.

Thanks much,

RJ Rinfret

Gilroy,CA

Guest Wayne77590

RJ, Remco provides base plates. towing bars, and other towing accessories. I was just suggesting a phone call to see if they could help, or know of someone else in there line of business could help.

Good luck.

Good point, I always think of Remco just for their disconnects. Must have somthing to do with the hours I spent putting one on a neighbors Blazer and trying to get it adjusted. I'll give Remco a call just in case but so far neither Roadmaster or Blue-Ox have any baseplate setup that would work nor any interest is providing suggestions.

Thanks,

I am also intrigued with the idea of flat towing a VW classic bug. I would like to get in contact with Denny Gattis to discuss his beautiful bug pictured in the FMCA article. I have a lot of experience of flat towing both a VW dune buggy(Manx) and a Baja bug both of which I built.

John Du Bois

FMCA #408394

Johnmdubois@yahoo.com

I would like to get in contact with Denny Gattis ...

John: FMCA does not disclose members' personal contact info, but I will gladly pass along your inquiry to the Disconnect Club. Perhaps Mr. Gattis or someone will respond on this forum or get in touch with you.